How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree at the University of Kansas. One class is admitted each year for the fall semester beginning in August. All parts of the application, including transcripts and references, must be submitted by the deadline.
- July 1: First day applications are available for Fall 2019 entry
- Oct. 1: Last day to apply for fall semester admission
The following materials, and steps, are required for application to the BSN program at the KU School of Nursing:
- Apply online. Select "Nursing Pre-Licensure BSN" on the Program Choice screen.
- $75 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcript(s) of all college coursework. If applicable, this includes sending official scores for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).
- Three letters of reference - Gather the names and email addresses of three people from whom you wish to request letters. Once you submit your application, your references will be emailed with instructions for submitting their recommendation online. References should be requested from people who are able to describe your potential to be successful in the nursing program and as a nurse. You should avoid asking personal friends or family members. Faculty, graduate teaching assistants, supervisors from work or volunteer experiences, or advisers/leaders from extracurricular or community activities would all be appropriate people to ask.
Evaluation/enrollment form: All applicants who meet the Oct.1 deadline will be emailed an evaluation of their prerequisite courses and a Spring/Summer Plans Enrollment form. You should expect to receive this email within 6-8 weeks of your completed application. Your Spring/Summer Plans Enrollment form and a copy of your fall semester grades must be returned to the School of Nursing Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management prior to January 15. Instructions will be included in the email.
Admission decisions are made by the Student Admission and Progression Committee in mid-March each year. All applicants are notified of their admission status via mailed letters and email from the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management at the KU School of Nursing.
Deposit: To verify admission acceptance and secure enrollment, admitted students must submit a $200 (non-refundable) enrollment deposit. This deposit is applied to the first semester's tuition and is not an additional fee.
Active duty military personnel: If you are planning to apply to KU BSN program through a military program, i.e. AECP, MECP, or NECP, please contact Cyndie Majher at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries about the process.
Foreign language requirement: All applicants for study at the University of Kansas whose native language is not English must demonstrate an established level of English language proficiency through either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the academic format of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The test must have been taken within two years of the first semester of enrollment. When submitting test scores, please submit only original scores sent directly from the testing agency. Photocopies will not be accepted. For testing purposes, the ETS school code is 6895.