Online RN to BSN Eligibility and Requirements
The minimum requirements for admission are as follows:
- Prior to enrolling in the Online RN to BSN, you must successfully complete all of the prerequisite courses detailed below. There is no expiration date on academic credit, and you have the option of completing all 60 credit hours of these courses at the regionally-accredited community college or university of your choice.
- English Composition I & II
- Humanities elective course
- Speech or Interpersonal Communication
- General Psychology
- General Sociology
- Child/Human Development
- Global Awareness course
- Liberal Arts electives (Specified prerequisites listed here, plus electives, must total 60 credit hours.)
- General Chemistry w/ lab
- Microbiology w/ lab
- Anatomy w/ lab
- Physiology (or combined A&P)
- College Algebra
- Human Nutrition
- A minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.50 is required in all college coursework. When calculating GPA, all non-vocational and non-remedial courses from all regionally-accredited colleges and universities attended are considered. With the exception of Intermediate Algebra, remedial courses are not factored into the GPA. When a course is repeated, both the original and the new grade are factored into the GPA. With the exception of ADN courses, courses that do not transfer to KU are not factored into the GPA.
- You must maintain current, unencumbered RN licensure in the United States. (Physical residence in the United States is not required.)
Course Transfer Guides for Articulation Agreement Partner Schools
Any ACEN or CNEA accredited nursing program graduate is eligible to apply, but graduates of schools with whom we have formal articulation agreements may be eligible for additional portfolio credit and other program benefits.
Factors Considered in Admission:
The KU School of Nursing endeavors to fulfill its responsibilities to the changing needs of society by selecting applicants who, in the judgment of the Student Admission and Progression Committee, demonstrate the academic achievement, maturity, integrity and motivation necessary for the successful study and practice of nursing, and who will best meet the needs of the citizenry. In addition, the Committee looks for applicants who will contribute academic, non-academic, and socioeconomic diversity to the class. The Committee is interested in evidence of capacity for mature and independent scholarship. One of the important missions of a university is to help all individuals realize their potential. To this end, the KU Medical Center commits itself to:
- The provision of equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all programs and services on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or ancestry, age, gender expression, gender identity, religion or creed, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic testing and screening information. Equal opportunity for employment, education, and education-related activities shall be extended to all persons; and
- The development and implementation of policies and programs designed to promote the full participation of these groups in the programs and activities of the University at all levels.
Background Check Requirement
For KU programs to maintain accreditation status, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations requires that all persons, employees, volunteers and students involved in patient care activities to have background checks. This status is very important to healthcare organizations to demonstrate to patients and professionals that they meet the highest of standards for patient care.
This background check will be done at the applicant's expense after provisional acceptance has been granted. The information from this report is held in confidence by the school. More information regarding background checks for students
Technical Standards for Admission
All individuals admitted to the University of Kansas School of Nursing will be asked to verify that they can meet certain standards with or without accommodation(s). More information regarding technical standards for admission.