Amy L. Garcia, DNP, RN, CENP
Director, Office of Practice
Clinical Associate Professor
DNP, American Sentinel University
MSN, Wichita State University
BSN, Wichita State University
- KU faculty since 2017
- Former Chief Programs & Chief Nursing Officer, American Nurses Association
- Former Chief Executive Officer, National Association of School Nurses
- Health Care Executive, Cerner Corporation
Current Areas of Teaching
- Healthcare Policy
- Healthcare Technology & Informatics
- Garcia, A. (2017). Variability in acuity in acute care. Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(10, 476-483.
- Pruinelli, L., Delaney, C., Garcia, A., Caspers, B., Westra, B. (2016). Nursing management minimum data set (NMMDS): Cost effective tool to demonstrate the value of nurse staffing in the big data science era. Nursing Economic$, 34(2), 66-71, 89.
- Garcia, A., Caspers, B., Westra, B., Pruinelli, L., Delaney, C. (2015). Sharable and comparable data for nursing management. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 39(4), 297-303.
- Garcia, A. (2015). How big data can improve healthcare. American Nurse Today, 10(7), 53-55.
- ANA (2013). Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Interprofessional Standards: Across the Continuum of Care. American Nurses Association: Silver Spring, MD. (Technical writer).
- The Value of Nursing Data Model: A Structured Approach to Measuring Individual Nurse's Contribution in Patient Outcomes American Medical Informatics Association, Washington DC, November 2017.
- Articulating the Value of Nursing Keynote or featured speaker at 12 national conferences in the United States and England, 2014 - 2017.
- Variability in Acuity in Heart Failure Patients in Acute Care Keynote, Sigma Theta Tau Evidence-Based Nursing Conference, Wichita, April 2016
- Continuing Use of Big Data for Workforce Management University of Minnesota Big Data Conference, Minneapolis, June 2015
- Safe Patient Handling: Priorities for the Next Ten Years. Panelist and welcoming remarks, VA Safe Patient Handling Conf, Orlando, 2012; San Diego, 2011.
More than $5M in grants, including:
- American Dental Association Foundation, Give Kids A Smile Program, 2010, 2011.
- Environmental Protection Agency, Managing Asthma Triggers, recommended and approved for additional and extended funding based on results, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Improving Immunization Coverage: Clarifying Knowledge, Attitudes and Beliefs of School Nurses (NIH 3009 U66 IP), 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Food Allergies in Schools, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Program to Promote Diabetes Education Strategies in Minority Communities (NIH 2008 U58 DP), 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
- Media spokesperson for campaigns developed by NASN and partner companies, with more than 3.5 billion contacts. Each campaign included the development of MMNR materials for media promotion, satellite radio and television media tours and long lead interviews. Topics include childhood obesity, meningitis, influenza, pertussis, opiod abuse and head lice.
- Host of NASN Radio, 2007-2011
- TV work includes FOX, CBS, ABC, MSNBC
Select Current Volunteer & Professional Associations
- American Medical Informatics Association
- American Nurses Association.
- Kansas State Nurses Association
- America Organization of Nurse Executives, certified in executive nursing practice
- Nursing Big Data Science Initiative
- Sigma Theta Tau
Jan 26, 2018