Cara Busenhart, Ph.D., CNM, APRN
Program Director, Advanced Practice & Midwifery Education Programs
Clinical Assistant Professor
Ph.D., University of Kansas
MSN, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Certificate, Nurse-Midwifery, Bi-State Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
BSN, Truman State University
- KU faculty since 2009
- Clinical practice at Maternal Options that Matter Clinic (interprofessional teaching clinic with Family Medicine & Nurse-Midwifery), JayDoc Free Health Clinic, & University of Kansas Hospital
- Wyandotte County Fetal & Infant Mortality Review (FIMR), Case Review Team
- Kansas State Board of Nursing, APRN Committee, CNM Representative
- Kansas Action Coalition, Practice Team Co-Lead
- Peer reviewer for Clinical Simulation in Nursing
Academic Program Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 801, Advanced Health Assessment and Clinical Reasoning
- NRSG 830, Care of Women in the Antepartal Period
- NRSG 831, Care of Women in the Antepartal Period Practicum
- NRSG 832, Nurse-Midwifery in the Postpartum and Newborn Period
- NRSG 837, Childbearing Family Practicum: Intrapartum, Postpartum, & Newborn
- NRSG 840, Nurse-Midwifery Integration Practicum
- NRSG 841, Reproductive Endocrinology
- Meyer, M., Groller, K., Myers, S., Busenhart, C., Waugh, S., & Stegenga, K. (2014). Simulation as a learning experience: Perceptions of new Registered Nurses. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(8), 384-394.
- Willmarth, M., Busenhart, C., Lange-Kessler, J., Morgan, A., & Rouhana, N. (2013) ACNM Exam Prep Workbook. Silver Spring: American College of Nurse-Midwives.
- Breedlove, G. & Busenhart, C. (2005). Screening and detection of ovarian cancer. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 50(1), 51-54. PMID: 15637515
- Busenhart, C. (September 2014). Leveling the IPEC Competencies: A Blueprint for Planning Interprofessional Education. Healthcare Simulation Conference. Overland Park, KS.
- Busenhart, C., Johnston, K., & Bhattacharya, S. (June 2014). Team-Based Learning: Collaboration and Teamwork to Increase Knowledge for Geriatric Practice. All Together Better Health VII. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Bhattacharya, S., Jernigan, S., Ebbert, D., Turner, T., Johnston, K., & Busenhart, C. (June 2014). Incorporating Interprofessional Education from Academia to Practice. All Together Better Health VII. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Groller, K., Meyer, M., Myers, S., Busenhart, C., Waugh, S., & Stegenga, K. (2014, January). The Opportunity to Act like a Nurse: A Qualitative Analysis of Perceived Impact of Simulation on Professional Role Transition. Presented at International Meeting for Simulation in Healthcare, San Francisco, CA.
- Busenhart, C., & Roche, A. (2013, October). Delivering OB Content in a Concept-Based Curriculum. Presented to the Professional Nurse Educators Group Conference, Kansas City, MO.
Awards & Honors
- 2015, Excellence in Teaching Award, American College of Nurse-Midwives
- 2014 & 2015, Outstanding Women's Health Provider, JayDoc Free Health Clinic
- 2010, Faculty Scholar, University of Kansas School of Nursing
Aug 01, 2016