Cara Busenhart, Ph.D., CNM, APRN
Program Director, Advanced Practice & Midwifery Education Programs
Clinical Assistant Professor
Ph.D., University of Kansas
MSN, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Certificate, Nurse-Midwifery, Bi-State Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
BSN, Truman State University
- KU faculty since 2009
- Clinical practice at Silver City Health Center, JayDoc Free Health Clinic, & The University of Kansas Hospital
- Wyandotte County Fetal & Infant Mortality Review (FIMR), Case Review Team
- Kansas State Board of Nursing, APRN Committee, CNM Appointed Member
- Kansas State Board of Healing Arts, Nurse-Midwifery Advisory Council, Appointed Member
- Kansas Action Coalition, Practice Team Co-Lead
- Peer reviewer for Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Journal of Research in Interprofessional Education, and Journal of Interprofessional Care
Academic Program Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 809, Health Promotion & Complementary Therapeutics
- NRSG 841, Reproductive Endocrinology
- NRSG 870, Teaching Strategies: Designing a Student Learning Environment
- NRSG 921, Primary Care of Women Across the Lifespan
- NRSG 922, Care of Women in the Antepartal Period
- NRSG 923, Nurse-Midwifery in the Postpartum and Newborn Period
- NRSG 924, Nurse-Midwifery in the Intrapartum Period
- NRSG 925, Care of Women in the Antepartal Period Practicum
- NRSG 926, Primary Care of Women Across the Lifespan Practicum
- NRSG 927, Childbearing Family Practicum: Intrapartum, Postpartum, and Newborn
- NRSG 928, Nurse-Midwifery Integration Practicum
- Busenhart, C. (2017). Discharge Teaching. In Gardner, S., & Snell, B.J. (eds.) Newborn Care: Guide for Managing the Well Baby Through the First Month. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Willmarth-Stec, M., Arbour, M., Busenhart, C., Lange-Kessler, J., & Rouhana, N. (2015). ACNM Exam Prep Workbook. Silver Spring: American College of Nurse-Midwives.
- Meyer, M., Groller, K., Myers, S., Busenhart, C., Waugh, S., & Stegenga, K. (2014). Simulation as a learning experience: Perceptions of new Registered Nurses. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(8), 384-394.
- Busenhart, C. (2010). Reproductive pharmacology (chapter 6) in Rx for NCLEX Success: Pharmacology. Indianapolis, IN: The College Network.
- Breedlove, G. & Busenhart, C. (2005). Screening and detection of ovarian cancer. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 50(1), 51-54. PMID: 15637515
- Stokes, S., & Busenhart, C. (November 2016). The Transition between a Home Birth Setting to a Hospital Setting: Optimizing Care Across Birth Settings. Mind and Heart Together Symposium. Liberty, MO.
- Busenhart, C. (April 2016). Management of Obesity in Pregnancy. 41st Annual Women's Health Care Symposium. Overland Park, KS.
- Ogren, M., & Busenhart, C. (March 2016). Maternal-Infant Separation during Hospitalization after Birth. Midwest Nursing Research Society. Milwaukee, WI.
- Busenhart, C. (September 2014). Leveling the IPEC Competencies: A Blueprint for Planning Interprofessional Education. Healthcare Simulation Conference. Overland Park, KS.
- Groller, K., Meyer, M., Myers, S., Busenhart, C., Waugh, S., & Stegenga, K. (2014, January). The Opportunity to Act like a Nurse: A Qualitative Analysis of Perceived Impact of Simulation on Professional Role Transition. Presented at International Meeting for Simulation in Healthcare, San Francisco, CA.
- Promoting Primary Care Advanced Practice Nursing in Rural Kansas. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). Co-Investigator. ($1.4 million)
- Silver City Health Center Midwifery Service Patient Education Project. University of Kansas Hospital Auxiliary. ($2,000)
- Optimizing Maternity Care in Greater Kansas City Symposium. Community Grant, March of Dimes Greater Kansas Chapter. ($2,000)
- Maternal Options that Matter Patient Education. University of Kansas Hospital Auxiliary. ($1,500)
Awards & Honors
- 2015, Excellence in Teaching Award, American College of Nurse-Midwives Foundation
- 2014 & 2015, Outstanding Women's Health Provider, JayDoc Free Health Clinic
- 2010, Faculty Scholar, University of Kansas School of Nursing
Aug 24, 2017