Cindy Whitney, DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC
Clinical Assistant Professor
DNP, University of Kansas
MS, University of Kansas
BSN, University of Missouri Kansas City
ADN, Barton County Community College
- KU faculty since 2012
- In advanced practice since 2005
- Acute care, residential care, and telepsychiatry
- Clinical specialty in mental health with a subspecialty in child and adolescent mental health
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Kansas chapter treasurer
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Kansas Advance Practice Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Kansas Chapter President
Academic Program Affiliation
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 731: Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics for Advanced Practice Nursing
- NRSG 850: Mental Health Assessment of Infant, Children and Adolescents
- NRSG 851: Psychopharmacology for Advance Nursing Practice
- NRSG 846: Psychotherapeutics I: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner
- NRSG 847: Psychotherapeutics Interventions II: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner
- NRSG 848: Psychotherapeutics II: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner Practicum
- NRSG 849: Psychotherapeutics III: Practicum
- Hanna, D., Young, M., Whitney, L., Hsu, J., & Bhatia, A. (2012). We have an identity crisis. Practical Dermatology, 11(1), 35-39.
- Whitney, L. (2010). Disorders affecting children and adolescents. In J. Rhoads (Ed.), Clinical Consult for Psychiatric Mental Health Care. New York: Springer.
- Hanna, D., & Arnold, L.J., Whitney, L. (2009). Inflamed feelings: The psychological effects of inflammatory disorders. Practical Dermatology, 6(3), 60-63.
- Glodich, A. M., Allen, J.G., Fultz, J., Thompson, G., Arnold Whitney, L., Varvil, C. et al. (2005). School-based psycho educational groups on trauma designed to decrease reenactment. In A. Lightbern & P. Sessions (Eds.), Handbook of Community Based Clinical Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Glodich, A.M., Allen, J.G., Arnold, L. J. (2001) Protocol for a trauma-based psychoeducational group intervention to decrease risk-taking, Reenactment, and further violence exposure: Application to the public high school setting. Journal of Child and Adolescent Group Therapy, 11(2), 87-107.
- Baird, M. B., Whitney, L., & Caedo, C. E. (2017). Experiences and attitudes among psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurses in the use of telemental health: Results of an online survey. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. doi:10.1177/1078390317717330
- Whitney, L. (2015). Childhood Toxic Stress: Identifying and Treating PTSD. Children's Mercy Hospital 21st Annual Pediatric Advanced Practice Nursing Conference
- Whitney, L. (2014). Psychopharmacology in Primary Care. Silver City Health Center
- Whitney, L. (2013). Pediatric Psychopharmacology. Children's Mercy Hospital 19th Annual Pediatric Advanced Practice Nursing Conference
- Whitney, L. (2013). Psychopharmacology: Basics for Social Workers. Guest Lecture. University of Kansas, Graduate School of Social Work
- Whitney, L. (2012). Treating Kids with SPMI. Kansas Law Enforcement Crisis Intervention Training. Overland Park Fire Training Center
- Caedo, C., Baird, B., & Whitney, L. (November, 17, 2016). Telemental Health (TMH) Guielines for Education of Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses. William Jewel College Mind
and Heart Together: Celebrating Intellectual Pursuit in Undergraduate Nursing.
- Whitney, L. (April, 2017). Chasing the Dragon: Panel Discussion on Opioid Addiction Crisis. KUMC School of Nursing
- Whitney, L. (February, 2017). Long Acting Injectable (LAI). Atypical Antipsychotic Drugs: A Practical Guide for Nursing. Kansas Psychiatric Nurses Association, Denim Friday Conference
Honors & Awards
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Lambda Phi Chapter
- Nurse Traineeship Award, University of Kansas, 2004
- University of Kansas: Alumni Association Academic Scholarship, 2005
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals National Scholar, 2005
- Daisy Faculty Award -nominated 2015
Aug 24, 2017