Cindy Whitney, DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC
Clinical Assistant Professor
DNP, University of Kansas
MS, University of Kansas
BSN, University of Missouri Kansas City
ADN, Barton County Community College
- KU faculty since 2012
- In advanced practice since 2005
- Acute care, residential care, and telepsychiatry
- Clinical specialty in mental health with a subspecialty in child and adolescent mental health
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Kansas chapter treasurer
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Kansas Advance Practice Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Kansas Chapter President
Academic Program Affiliation
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 731: Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics for Advanced Practice Nursing
- NRSG 850: Mental Health Assessment of Infant, Children and Adolescents
- NRSG 851: Psychopharmacology for Advance Nursing Practice
- NRSG 846: Psychotherapeutics I: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner
- NRSG 847: Psychotherapeutics Interventions II: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner
- NRSG 848: Psychotherapeutics II: Psych MH Nurse Practitioner Practicum
- NRSG 849: Psychotherapeutics III: Practicum
- Glodich, A.M., Allen, J.G., Arnold, L. J. (2001) Protocol for a trauma-based psychoeducational group intervention to decrease risk-taking, Reenactment, and further violence exposure: Application to the public high school setting. Journal of Child and Adolescent Group Therapy, 11(2), 87-107.
- Glodich, A. M., Allen, J.G., Fultz, J., Thompson, G., Arnold Whitney, L., Virgil, C. et al. (2005). School-based psycho educational groups on trauma designed to decrease reenactment. In A. Lightbern & P. Sessions (Eds.), Handbook of Community Based Clinical Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hanna, D., & Arnold, L.J., Whitney, L. (2009). Inflamed feelings: The psychological effects of inflammatory disorders. Practical Dermatology, 6(3), 60-63.
- Whitney, L. (2010). Disorders affecting children and adolescents. In J. Rhoads (Ed.), Clinical Consult for Psychiatric Mental Health Care. New York: Springer.
- Hanna, D., Young, M., Whitney, L., Hsu, J., & Bhatia, A. (2012). We have an identity crisis. Practical Dermatology, 11(1), 35-39.
- Baird, M. B., Whitney, L., & Caedo, C. E. (2017). Experiences and attitudes among psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurses in the use of telemental health: Results of an online survey. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. doi:10.1177/1078390317717330
- Whitney, L. (2012). Treating kids with SPMI. Kansas Law Enforcement Crisis Intervention Training. Overland Park Fire Training Center. Overland Park, KS.
- Whitney, L. (April, 2013). Psychopharmacology: Basics for social workers. Guest Lecture. University of Kansas, Graduate School of Social Work. Overland, Park, KS.
- Whitney, L. (September, 2013). Pediatric psychopharmacology. Podium presentation at the Children's Mercy Hospital 19th Annual Pediatric Advanced Practice Nursing Conference. Overland Park, KS.
- Whitney, L. (2014). Psychopharmacology in primary care. Guest lecture. Silver City Health Center. Kansas City, KS.
- Whitney, L. (September, 2015). Childhood toxic stress: Identifying and treating PTSD. Podium presentation at the Children's Mercy Hospital 21st Annual Pediatric Advanced Practice Nursing Conference. Overland Park, KS.
- Caedo, C., Baird, B., & Whitney, L. (November, 2016). Telemental health (TMH) guidelines for education of psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurses. Poster presentation at the William Jewel College Mind and Heart Together: Celebrating Intellectual Pursuit in Undergraduate Nursing. Liberty, MO.
- Whitney, L. (February, 2017). Long Acting Injectable (LAI). Atypical antipsychotic drugs: A practical guide for nursing. Podium presentation at the 17th Kansas Psychiatric Nurses Association, Denim Friday Conference. Topeka, KS.
- Whitney, L. (April, 2017). Chasing the dragon: Panel discussion on opioid addiction crisis. KUMC School of Nursing. Kansas City, KS.
- Baird, M. B. & Whitney, L. (May, 2017). Telemental health (TMH) guidelines for education of psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurses (PMH-APRNs). Poster presentation at the International Congress of Nursing (ICN). Barcelona, Spain.
- Whitney, L. (September, 2017). What was I doing? Focus on ADHD. Podium presentation at the Children's Mercy Hospital 23rd Annual Pediatric Advanced Practice Nursing Conference. Overland Park, KS.
- Whitney, L., Baird, M.B., & Caedo, C. (October, 2017). Telemental health guidelines for education of psychiatric mental health advanced practice nurses (PMH-APNs). Poster presentation at the meeting of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association National Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Honors & Awards
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Lambda Phi Chapter
- Nurse Traineeship Award, University of Kansas, 2004
- University of Kansas: Alumni Association Academic Scholarship, 2005
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals National Scholar, 2005
- Daisy Faculty Award - nominated 2015
Dec 27, 2017