Cynthia Teel, Ph.D., RN, FAAN
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs
School of Nursing
Executive Nurse Fellows Program, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2006 Cohort
Ph.D., Clinical Nursing Research, University of Arizona
MS, Nursing, University of Nevada, Reno
BS, Nursing, California State University, Hayward
- KU faculty since 1993
- Membership: Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter; American Nurses Association; Kansas State Nurses Association, Kansas Association of Colleges of Nursing; Midwest Nursing Research Society; Sigma Xi
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nursing Education
Academic Program Affiliations
- BSN, RN-BSN, Partnership
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 898, Research Project
- NRSG 980, Doctor of Nursing Practice Project
- NRSG 999, Doctoral Dissertation
- Peltzer, J., Shen, Q., Pierce, J., Selig, B., Hober, C., Carlton, E., & Teel, C. (2018). The Kansas nurse leader residency program: Building nurses' capacity to lead change. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 34(5), E1-E8. DOI: 10.1097/NND.0000000000000479
- Groller, K., Teel, C., Stegenga, K., & El Chaar, M. (2018). Patient perspectives about bariatric surgery unveil experiences, education, satisfaction, and recommendations for improvement. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 14, 785-796
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Teel, C. & Pierce, J. (2018). Kansas nurse leader residency programme: Advancing leader knowledge and skills. Journal of Nursing Management, 26, 148-157.
- Moody, L., Peltzer, J., & Teel, C. (2018). Advancing nursing education: BSN completion messaging materials for associate degree program nursing faculty. Nursing Education Perspectives, 39(6), E21-E25. doi: 10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000342
- Peltzer, J. Shen, Q., Teel, C. & Pierce, J. (2017). Culturally competent nursing care: A descriptive study of Kansas nurses and pre-licensure and RN-BSN programs. The Kansas Nurse, 92(3), 11-12.
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Pierce, J., Carlton, E., & Ford, D. (2017). Successful communication in leadership: Experiences of the northeast Kansas nurse leader residents. The Kansas Nurse, 92(3), 7.
- Nelson-Brantley, H. & Teel, C. (2017). Nurses on boards in Kansas: A targeted board descriptive study. The Kansas Nurse, 92(1), 10-13.
- Singh, R., Teel, C., Sabus, C., McGinnis, P. & Kluding, P. (2016). Fatigue in type 2 diabetes: Impact on quality of life and predictors. PLOS ONE 11(11): e0165652. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0165652
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Frank-Ragan, E., & Nelson-Brantley, H. (2016). Strategies for building advocacy skills among undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(3), 177-181. doi:10.3928/01484834-20160216-11
- Peltzer, J., Moody, L., Shen, Q., Pierce, J., & Teel, C. (2016). Providing a voice to Kansas RNs: Qualitative results from the Kansas RN workforce study. The Kansas Nurse, 91(2), 16-19.
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Cline, J. & Cromwell, G. (2016). Navigating the path of academic progression: A qualitative descriptive study of associate degree nursing faculty, public health nurses, and school nurses. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 11, 44-51.
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., & Shen, Q. (2016). Letter to the editor: Nursing faculty intent to retire within the next five years. The Kansas Nurse, 91(3), 19.
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., & Teel, C. (2016). Assessment of retirement intentions among Kansas nursing faculty. The Kansas Nurse, 91(1), 8-10.
- Wambach, K., Teel, C., & Groller, K. (2018). PhD minor synthesis course: Innovation for integrating minor course content into the dissertation and scholarship dissemination at the University of Kansas. Poster presentation, AACN 2018 Doctoral Education Conference, Naples, Florida (January 18-19, 2018).
- Selig, B. Peltzer, J. & Teel, C. (2017). Developing a curriculum for a nurse leader residency program: Engaging leaders in preparing for the future. Paper presentation, The ICN Congress 2017, Barcelona, Spain (May 27-June 1, 2017).
- Selig, B., Peltzer, J., & Teel, C. (03/30/2017& 03/31/2017). Developing leaders in diverse settings to optimize outcomes. Poster presentation, American Organization of Nurse Executives, Baltimore, MD (March 29-April 1, 2017).
- Wambach, K., Teel, C., Ogawa, L., Peltzer, J., Park, S.H., & Baird, M. (01/20/2017). PhD Synthesis Courses and Qualifying Examinations: Threading Innovation throughout the Curriculum at the University of Kansas. Podium presentation, AACN 2017 Doctoral Education Conference Coronado, CA (Jan 18-21, 2017).
- Dunton, N., Teel, C., & Pierce, J. (01/19/2017). Advancing data science in doctoral nursing programs. Poster Presentation, AACN 2017 Doctoral Education Conference Coronado, CA (Jan 18-21, 2017).
- Dunton, N., Teel, C., Cramer, E., Olds, D., & Pierce, J. (2016). Developing a new model for nursing data science. Poster Presentation, American Academy of Nursing Policy Conference, Washington, DC. (October 20-22, 2016).
- 2017-2019, Promoting Primary Care Advanced Practice Nursing in Rural Kansas, PI, HRSA ANEW award, $1,390,659
- 2018-2019, Kansas Nursing Initiative Grant, PI, Kansas Board of Regents, $278,813
- 2018-2020, Supporting 2 PhD students & 2 DNP students, Director, Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, on behalf of the Jonas Center, $40,000
Awards & Honors
- 2018, Glendon G. Cox, MD, MBA, MHSA Faculty Leadership and Excellence Award, KUMC
- 2015, March of Dimes, Nurse of the Year: School of Nursing Educator, Kansas City
- 2015, AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners) State Award for Excellence, Nurse Practitioner Advocate
- 2015 Community Leader Award, Sigma Theta Tau International, Delta Chapter
- 2014, Honorary Nursing Alumna Award, KUMC Alumni Association
- 2012, Daisy Faculty Award, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Daisy Foundation, KU School of Nursing
- 2011, Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2011, Nurse of the Year Award, Education, Kansas State Nurses Association