Doctor of Philosophy Admission Criteria
The KU School of Nursing selects PhD applicants who demonstrate the academic achievement, integrity and motivation necessary for successful doctoral study in nursing. In addition, the Student Admission and Progression Committee looks for applicants who will contribute academic, nonacademic and socioeconomic diversity to the class. The Committee is interested in those with evidence of their capacity for mature and independent scholarship.
Eligibility and requirements:
- Completion of a BSN or master's degree in nursing from a nationally accredited program (NLNAC or CCNE).
- Current registered nurse licensure in at least one state in the U.S. This requirement may be waived for international students who will not engage in patient care while in the program.
- Preference is given to applicants with a 3.5 GPA in the BSN program or 3.25 in the master's program.
- Potential for leadership and scholarship in nursing.
- Prerequisite preparation must include a graduate-level statistical methods course and Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) course.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. Preferred scores are a minimum combined score of 297 on verbal and quantitative sections, and at least 4 on the analytical section.
- Satisfactory criminal background check (completed once an offer of admission has been extended to applicant)
English Language Requirements: All applicants for study at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) whose native language is not English must demonstrate an established level of English language proficiency through either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the academic format of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The test must have been taken within two years of the first semester of enrollment. When submitting test scores to KU Medical Center, please submit only original scores sent directly from the testing agency. Photocopies will not be accepted. For testing purposes, the ETS school code is 6895. Contact the Office of International Programs for more information.