E. LaVerne Manos, DNP, RN-BC, FAMIA
Director, Interprofessional Informatics Programs of Study
Clinical Associate Professor
DNP, University of Kansas
MS, University of Kansas
BSN, University of Kansas
- KU faculty since 2010
- American Medical Informatics Association(AMIA)
- Executive Committee Academic Forum - AMIA
- Accreditation Site Surveyor Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education - CAHIIM
- Peer reviewer Journal of AMIA - JAMIA
- Reviewer HRSA Grant Proposals: Informatics, Interprofessional Education & Practice, and Nursing
- The Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- Learning Health System Governance Task Force Group Chair
- Nursing Informatics Program Directors (NIPD)/Academic Forum Charter Member
Academic Program Affiliations
- Interprofessional Master of Science in Health Informatics -MSHI (Program Director)
- Post Masters Interprofessional Certificate in Informatics (Program Director)
- MS - Leadership/Informatics Specialty (Program Coordinator)
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 820, Program Project and Communication Planning
- IPHI 851, Transforming Health Care through Use of Information Systems and Technology
- IPHI 852, Health Data Theory and Practice
- IPHI 853, Abstraction and Modeling of Healthcare Information
- IPHI 854, Knowledge Management in Healthcare
- IPHI 856, Informatics Practicum
- NRSG 938, Informatics and Technology Application
- NRSG 957, Health Informatics Human Factors & Ergonomics as Applied to Patient Safety
- NRSG 958, Knowledge Representation & Interoperability
- Manos, E.L., Connors, H.B., Warren, J.J., & Manos E.L (2017). Chapter: Informatics in the curriculum for healthcare professionals. In Nelson, R., & Staggers, N. (Eds.). Health Informatics: An interprofessional approach for health practitioners. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier. AJN Book of the year 2013
- Scotten, M., Manos, E.L., Malicoat, A., & Paolo, A.M. (2015). Minding the gap: Interprofessional communication during inpatient and post discharge chasm care. Patient Educ Couns, 98(7), 895-900.
- Manos, E. L., Connors, H. B., & Roche, A. (2014). Incorporating an EHR and other Technologies into Clinical Simulations. In Jeffries, P. R. (Ed.) Clinical Simulations in Nursing Education: Advanced Concepts, Trends, and Opportunities. Washington, DC: National League for Nursing
- Waitman, L. R., Warren, J.J., Manos, E. L., & Connolly, D.W. (2011). Expressing Observations from Electronic Medical Record Flowsheets in an i2b2 based Clinical Data Repository. In Proceedings of the AMIA 2011 Symposium: Biomedical and Health Informatics. PMID: 22195209
- Monsen, K., Manos, E. L., Levy, B., Hersh, W. (2017) Toward Multi-disciplinary Synergy in Academic Health Informatics Programs: CCIPD, NIPD and Beyond. Panel presented at: AMIA Academic Forum InSpire Conference: Developing the Health Informatics Workforce of the Future. La Jolla, CA.
- Marian, K., Johnston, K., Manos, E. L. (2016). Whose Role is it to Provide Better Health Care Anyway? Workshop presented at the 16th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare. San Diego, CA.
- Manos, E.L. (2015). A novel approach to educating health informaticians. Poster session presented at the Midwest Health Informatics and Telemedicine Conference. Kansas City, MO
- Manos, E. L., Johnston, K., & Scotten, M. (2014). 14th Annual International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH). Poster Presentation. Just-in-time in situ simulation: Beyond high risk/low frequency simulation. San Francisco, California.
- Jeffries, P. R., Manos, E. L., Skiba, D. J., Willhous, J. K. (2012). Achieving IPE goals with technology. Panel Discussion at the National League for Nursing, 7th Technology Conference Spokane WA.
- 2012-2015, $998,000. Nursing, Education, Practice, Quality and Retention (NEPQR) HRSA funded grant. ICAP-Peds. Position on grant - PI
- 2013-2016, $1 Million. Kansas Reynolds grant - Program in Aging Transitions of Primary Care Patient Project. Funded by Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. Position on Grant -TeamSTEPPs expert in both education and practice - role is a consultant.
- 2014 Spring Office of Grants and Research Faculty Research award. Language, Power, and the Construction of Hierarchy in Healthcare: A Pilot Study to Investigate Healthcare Interprofessional Language Use. Position on Grant - Co-PI with Dr. Deb Ford
Awards & Honors
- 2015, March of Dimes Nurse of the Year, Informatics category