Elaine Williams Domian, Ph.D., APRN, FNP-BC
Clinical Associate Professor
Ph.D., Cultural Anthropology, University of Kansas
MSN, University of Missouri-Kansas City
BSN, Avila College
- KU faculty since 1998
- ANCC Certified Family Nurse Practitioner since 1989
- NRSA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship Award (1993-1997)
- Juniper Gardens Post-Doctoral Fellowship Award (2006-2007)
- Lead International Travel with Nursing Students (Honduras-2008, 2010, 2011; Uganda-2014)
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 826, Global Perspectives & Diversity in Health Care
- NRSG 827, Advanced Topics in Public Health Nursing
- NRSG 828, Advanced Topics in Public Health Nursing Practicum
- NRSG 839, Global Perspectives & Diversity in Health Care Practicum
- NRSG 898, Master's Research Projects
- NRSG 947, Qualitative Research Application
- Capstone Chair/Committee Member
- Dissertation Committee Member
- Spencer, B., Wambach, K., & Domian, E. (2013). A qualitative description of African American women's breastfeeding experiences. Qualitative Research.
- Peltzer, J. Domian, E. & Teel, C. (2013). Understanding the experiences of young African American women living with HIV. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Sylvia, E & Domian, E. (2012). How adults with diabetes struggle to find the meaning of their disease. Clinical Scholars Review, 5, (1), 1-9.
- Domian, E.W., Baggett, K., Carta, J., Mitchell, S., Larson, E., (2010) Factors influencing mother' abilities to engage in a comprehensive parenting intervention program. Public Health Nursing, 27, (5), 399-407. PMID: 20840709
- Domian, E.W. (2001) Cultural practices, family support, and meaningful pregnancies. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 33 (4),331-336. PMID: 11775302
- Domian, E., Baird, M., Mulcahy, E., & Albin, J. Partnering with Sudanese Refugee Women using Community-Based Collaborative Action Research. Podium Presentation at the Society for Applied Anthropology, Albuquerque, NM, March, 2014.
- Domian, E.W., Baggett, K., Carta, J., Wambach, K. "Life Course Trajectory of At-Risk Mothers for Child Maltreatment after Participation in a Longitudinal Prevention Study." Poster Presentation at 138th American Public Health Association Meeting, Denver, CO November, 2010.
- Domian, E.W., Baggett, K., Carta, J. "Home Visitation coach Perceptions and Experiences in Working with High Risk Mothers for Abuse and Neglect." Podium Presentation at Head Start's Ninth National Research Conference, Washington, D.C. June, 2008.
- Domian, E. W, Branstetter, J.E; Williams, P. (2006) "Communication in Families of Children with Chronic Conditions." Poster presentation at 134th American Public Health Association Meeting, Boston, MA. November, 2006
- Domian, E. (2003)"Culturally Relevant Public Health Policy & Positive Pregnancy Outcomes In Rural Northern New Mexico." Poster Presentation, International Conference on The Impact of global Issues on Women and Children, Bangkok, Thailand, February, 2003
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship, 1993-1997, National Research Service Award, National Center for Nursing Research, 5F31NR006904-03, PI-4 Year Pre-doctoral Fellowship Grant, Graduate Work and Dissertation Research
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, January 2006-May 2007, Juniper Gardens Children's Project, University of Kansas Post-Doctoral Leadership Training Program U.S. Department of Education, Culturally/Linguistically Diverse Student with Disabilities, H325D05, PI-Postdoctoral 12 month training to increase research knowledge and skills related to understanding the effects of environmental risk on children and families in poverty
- OGR/Faculty, University of Kansas, SO, PI-Follow-up case study for Research Award, Office of Grants & Research post- doctoral research, Spring 08-Spring 09
- OGR/Faculty, Wambach (PI), Domian (Co-PI), Co-PI- Explore Barriers to Research Award Page-Goertz (Co-PI) Exclusive Breastfeeding among Funded 6/2010 University of Kansas, SON Latina Women Office of Grants & Research
- OGR/Faculty, Baird (PI), Mulcahy (Co-PI), Co-PI -Ethnography in Action: Research Award Domian (Co-PI) Participatory Action Research Funded 10/2010 University of Kansas, SON with Sudanese Refugee Women
Awards & Honors
- 2014, The Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award-University of Kansas, SON
- 2013, Alumni Achievement Award-Avila College
- 2009, Fellow Status to Society for Applied Anthropology
- 2008, Awarded Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau, Travel Award
- 1991-1992, American Association Of University Women, Career Development Award