Ellen Harper, DNP, RN-BC, MBA, FAAN
Clinical Assistant Professor
DNP, American Sentinel University-Denver
MBA, University of Phoenix-Kansas City
BA, Ottawa University-Kansas City
ADN, Iowa Central Community College-Fort Dodge, Iowa
- KU faculty since 2017
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (AAN) Inducted 2013
- Member, AAN Informatics & Technology Expert Panel 2010-present
- Incoming Chair, AAN Informatics & Technology Expert Panel 2017
- Member, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- Member, Nursing Informatics Working Group (NIWG)
- NIWG Member at Large position 2017
- Member, American Nurses Association (ANA)
- 2012 ANA Care Coordination Quality Measurement Panel Advisory Committee
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau
- Eta Nu Chapter - University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- Member, Missouri Organization of Nursing Association
- Professional Practice Committee
- Member, HIMSS
- Chair of the Clinical & Business Intelligence Committee 2017-2018
- Member, Nursing Knowledge - Big Data Science
- Co-Chair of the Nurse Value Working Group
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- IPHI 851 / NRSG 857, Transforming of Health Care Through Use of Information Systems and Technology
- IPHI 853 / NRSG 853, Abstraction and Modeling of Health Care Information
- Harper, E.M. and McNair, D. (in press). The power of disparate data sources for answering thorny questions in healthcare: four case studies. In Nursing Knowledge and Practice Enabled by Big Data. Editors - Connie Delaney, Judy Warren, Charlotte Weaver, Tom Clancy and Roy Simpson. Published by Springer.
- Welton, J. M., & Harper, E. M. (2016). Measuring Nursing Care Value. Nursing Economic$, 34(1), 7-14
- Harper, E. M., & Parkerson, S. (2015). Powering big data for nursing through partnership. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 39, 319-324.
- Lavin, M., Harper, E., & Barr, N. (2015). Health information technology, patient safety, and professional nursing care documentation in acute care settings. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 20. http://dx.doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol20No02PPT03
- Harper, E.M. (2013). The economic value of healthcare data. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 37(2), 1-4.
- Harper, E.M. (June 2017). It's Innovation if You Lead It, Disruption if You Don't. Podium presentation at the Direct Care Nurses: Bedside and Beyond sponsored by Missouri Nurses Conference in Columbia, MO
- Harper E.M. (February 2017). Data to Decisions: The Power of Disparate Data Sources to Solve Challenging Questions. Podium presentation at HIMSS 2017 conference in Orlando, FL
- Harper, E.M. & Welton, J.M. (June, 2016) Measuring nursing value, 13th International Congress in Nursing Informatics, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Harper, E.M. & Welton, J.M. (January, 2016). Big data and nursing care: what would florence say? Keynote presentation at ANA Annual conference in Orlando, FL.
- Harper, E.M. (May 2015). Nursing excellence through informatics technology. Keynote conducted at the 7th International Nursing Symposium Nursing Excellence Beyond Boarders in Jeddah Saudi Arabia.
- $400,000 AHRQ - ACTION RTFO Using Evidence-based Nursing Practices and EHR Decision Support to Reduce Fall-related Patient Injuries in Acute Care. The 18 month project focused on two, closely related HIT applications - the EHR and electronic decision support systems (DSS) use by nurses.
Awards & Honors (5 max.)
- 2016, winner of the March of Dimes Nurse of the Year in the Informatics category.
Aug 31, 2017