Geri B. Neuberger, RN, MN, Ed.D.
School of Nursing
Ed.D., University of Kansas, School of Education
M.N., Medical/Surgical Nursing, University of Kansas School of Nursing, 1976
B.A. Cum Laude, Georgetown College, Kentucky, 1959
Diploma in Nursing, Kentucky Baptist Hospital, 1956
- Faculty, University of Kansas School of Nursing since 1976
- Coordinator of BSN Honors Program: 2003-2015
Select Publications (10 of 46)
- Neuberger, G.B., Vogel, K., Black, S.O., & Hassanein, R. (1993). Promoting self-care in clients with arthritis. Arthritis Care and Research, 6(3), 141-148.
- Neuberger, G.B., Kasal, S., Smith, K.V., Hassanein, R., & Deviney, S. (1994). Determinants of exercise and aerobic fitness in outpatients with arthritis. Nursing Research, 43(1), 11-17.
- Neuberger, G.B., & Woods, C.T. (1995). Alternative modalities. In I. Lubkin (Ed.). Chronic Illness: Impact and Interventions (third edition). Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Neuberger, G.B., Press, A.N., Lindsley, H.B., Hinton, R., Cagle, P., Carlson, K., Scott, S., Dahl, J., & Kramer, B. (1997). Effects of exercise on fatigue, aerobic fitness, and disease activity measures in persons with rheumatoid arthritis. Research in Nursing and Health, 20, 195-204.
- Neuberger, G. B., & Woods, C. T. (1998). Alternative modalities. In I. Lubkin (Ed.). Chronic Illness: Impact and Intervention (fourth edition). Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Aaronson, L., Teel, C., Cassmeyer, V., Neuberger, G., Pallikkathayil, L., Pierce, J., Press, A., Williams, P., & Wingate, A. (1999). Defining and measuring fatigue, Image, 31, 45-50.
- Neuberger, G.B. (2003). Measures of fatigue: The fatigue questionnaire, fatigue severity scale, multidimensional assessment of fatigue scale, and short form-36 vitality
- Neuberger, G.B., Aaronson, L.S., Gajewski, B., Embretson, S.E., Cagle, P. E., Loudon, J. K., Miller, P. E. (2007). Predictors of exercise and effects of exercise on symptoms, function, aerobic fitness, disease outcomes of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis Care & Research), 57, 943-952.
- S.A.A. Rongen-van Dartel, H. Repping-Wuts, M. Flendrie, G. Bleijenberg, G.S. Metsios, W. B. van denHout, C. H.M.van den Ende, G. Neuberger, A. Reid, P.L.C.M. van Riel, J. Fransen. (2015) The effect of aerobic exercise training on fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis: A Meta-analysis. Arthritis Care and Research.
- Neuberger, G. B. (2016) Developing PhD Nurse Scientists: Do Bachelor of Science in Nursing Honor Programs Help? Journal of Nursing Education, 55(10), 579-582
- A Comparison of the Relative Effects of Contracting and Practice on Knowledge of and Compliance to an Arthritis Treatment Regimen." Funded by National Arthritis Foundation, Arthritis Health Professionals Section, 7/1/84 to 7/1/86, $24,909.50.
- 1988. Component study of Research Emphasis Grant funded by Center for Nursing Research, NIH. September 15, 1988 for $4,751. Title: Explaining Exercise Behavior of Outpatients with Arthritis.
- 1989. $7,000+awarded shared biomedical Research Equipment Funds for purchase of treadmill.
- 1992 Principal Investigator, Study 2: Correlates of Fatigue in Rheumatoid Arthritis Clients ($15,650), Center of Biobehavioral Studies of Fatigue Management. 1P-20NRO3270-01, Center for Nursing Research, NIH, $15,650.
- November,1992. Awarded $1000 from Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau for partial funding for subject payment for study, "Correlates of Fatigue in Rheumatoid Arthritis Clients."
- January 1993. Awarded $800 from School of Nursing Research Office for additional funds for subject payment for study, "Correlates of Fatigue in Rheumatoid Arthritis Clients."
- October 1, 1994. Submitted R01 proposal to NINR entitled "Symptom Responses to Exercise in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients". Approved but not funded.
- May,1995. Awarded funding of $8,458 from KU Medical Center Research Institute, Inc. To prepare proposal, "Symptom Responses to Exercise in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients" for re-submission to NINR.
- August 22, 1995. Additional funding of $14,206 received from KU Medical Center Research Institute to prepare above proposal.
- September 20, 1996-October 20, 2000. Principal Investigator. R01 NR04093-01A1, "Symptom Responses to Exercise in Rheumatoid Arthritis" funded by NINR, 1.5 million dollars direct. No-cost extensions granted 2000-2001 and 2001-2002.
- 6/01/04-6/30/07, Project Coordinator (30%). HRSA Grant, "Career Ladder, Adult-Geriatric CNS/Clinical Educator, W. Bonnel, RN, PhD, Principal Investigator
- 1/01/06-6/30/11 Safety Officer (1%). RO1 NIH. Exercise Trial for Wheelchair Users. Katherine Grobe, OT, PhD., Principal Investigator
Awards & Honors:
- 1993 Investigator Research Award University of Kansas Medical
- 2004 Pinnacle Award, Region 3, Sigma Theta Tau
- 2005 Addie Thomas Service Award from the National Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Association
- 2011 Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award, University of Kansas School of Nursing
- 2011 Master Educator Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals (Division of the American College of Rheumatology)
- 2012 President's Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Association
- 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
May 21, 2018