Ph.D., University of Kansas, Anticipated 2016
BSN, University of Kansas
BS, Kansas State University
Heather Nelson-Brantley, BSN, RN, CCRN is a clinical instructor in the undergraduate program. Nelson-Brantley joined the University of Kansas School of Nursing as an Affiliate Faculty in 2012, teaching in both clinical and classroom settings. In 2013, she was appointed Clinical Instructor. Nelson-Brantley teaches in a variety of classroom courses, including Professional Development I, II, and III. She is also the faculty leader of the Hinch Academic Society.
Nelson-Brantley's clinical experience includes medical and pulmonary critical care and cardiothoracic surgery progressive care. In addition to teaching, she currently works as a staff RN at the University of Kansas Hospital's Center for Advanced Heart Care.
Nelson-Brantley received a BS in Psychology and Business Administration from Kansas State University, a BSN from the University of Kansas School of Nursing, and is currently a full-time student in the BSN-PhD program at the University of Kansas School of Nursing. Nelson-Brantley has completed her master's course work and is now focusing on her doctoral dissertation research, using Complexity Theory as a theoretical framework for understanding health care organizations and preparing nurses to lead change and advance health.
• Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN)
• Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
• Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS)
• Cardiothoracic Surgery Progressive Care
• Medical and Pulmonary Critical Care
• American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Greater Kansas City Chapter - President-Elect
• Sigma Theta Tau International, Delta Chapter - Corresponding Secretary
• Kansas Action Coalition - Leadership Team
• Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing - Member
• Kansas City Nurse Research Consortium - Member
• Phi Kappa Phi - Member
Publications and Presentations
• Nelson-Brantley, H., & Laverentz, D. (2013). Interprofessional education and TeamSTEPPS®: Delivering on our commitment to quality, safety and efficiency across the continuum of care. Podium presentation, October 2013, at the 40th annual national Professional Nurse Educators Group conference: Lessons from Oz, assuring capabilities for future nursing education and practice, Kansas City, MO.
• Nelson, H. (2011). From scrubs to stairs: The innovation of nursing excellence. Imprint, 58(3), 31-33.
• Nelson, H. (2011). Pediatric advance directives: A voice for the voiceless. Sigma Theta Tau International Delta Chapter Journal of Undergraduate Nursing Writing, 5(1), 55-63.
• Nelson, H. (2011). Oath of commitment. University of Kansas School of Nursing Nightingale Ceremony.
• Nelson, H. (2011). Climbing your staircase: Crafting your own transformational, ideal nurse professional. Podium presentation, April 2011, at the National Student Nurses Association Annual Convention, Salt Lake City, UT.
Heather Nelson-Brantley, BSN, RN, CCRN