Heather Nelson-Brantley, PhD, RN, CCRN-K
Ph.D., University of Kansas, School of Nursing
BSN, University of Kansas School of Nursing
BS, Psychology, minor in Business Administration, Kansas State University
- KU faculty since 2012
- Jonas Nurse Leader Scholar alumna
- Reviewer, Journal of Advanced Nursing
- CGEAN Research Committee board member
- Midwest Nursing Research Society 2018 Conference Planning Committee member
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Ambassador
- KUMC Nursing Alumni Board member
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Chapter member
- National League for Nursing member
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754: Health Care Research
- NRSG 755: Professionalism in Advanced Nursing Practice
- NRSG 880/HP&M 840: Organizational Foundations for Leading Change
- NRSG 883: Complexity Science Approaches to Improving Organizational Effectiveness
- NRSG 898: Research Project in Nursing
Select Research Interests
- Organizational change
- Health systems leadership
- Critical access hospitals and rural health
- Interprofessional teamwork
- Data visualization methods in data science
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., & Ford, D.J. (2017). Leading change: A concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(4), 834-846. doi: 10.1111/jan.13223
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., & Teel, C.S. (2017). Nurses on boards in Kansas: A targeted board descriptive study. The Kansas Nurse, 92(1), 10-13.
- Warshawsky, N.E., Andrews, D., Bacon, C.T., Cherry, B., Kowalski, K., Nelson-Brantley, H.V., & Sherman, R. (2017). Leading in the healthcare vortex. Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(3), 131-133.
- Peltzer, J. N., Teel, C. S., Frank-Ragan, E., & Nelson-Brantley, H. V. (2016). Strategies for building advocacy skills among undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(3), 177-181. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20160216-11
- Warshawsky, N. E., Joseph, M. L., Fowler, D. L., Edmonson, C., Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Kowalski, K. (2015). Pioneering through chaos. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(3), 130-132. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000171
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Laverentz, D. M. (2014). Leaderless organization: Active learning strategy in a concept-based curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 53(8), 484. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20140722-12
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., Ford, D.J., Miller, K.L., Stegenga, K.A., & Bott, M.J. (April 2017). Leading change in critical access hospitals: A qualitative, index case study of the journey to Magnet®. Poster presentation. 2017 Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., He, J., & Dunton, N. (April 2017). Data mining for nurse manager excellence. Poster presentation. 2017 Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., Ford, D.J., Miller, K.L., & Bott, M.J. (November 2016). Positive deviance: A qualitative, index case study of the first independent critical access hospital to achieve Magnet® designation. Podium presentation. 2016 International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Nelson-Brantley, H.V., & Ford, D.J. (November 2016). A conceptual model of leading change. Poster presentation. 2016 International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Waldon,T., & Nelson-Brantley, H. V. (February 2015). Magnetizing mentoring: Innovative methods for building future nurse leaders. Keynote podium presentation. 2015 Magnetizing KC Conference, Kansas City, KS.
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Laverentz, D. M. (October 2013). Interprofessional education and TeamSTEPPSTM: Delivering on our commitment to quality, safety and efficiency across the continuum of care. Podium presentation. 40th annual national Professional Nurse Educators Group conference: Lessons from Oz, assuring capabilities for future nursing education and practice, Kansas City, MO.
- 2016-Present. Press Ganey Associates, Inc. National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators® (NDNQI). Role: Investigator.
- 2016-Present. Econometrica, Inc. Development, Implementation, and Maintenance of Quality Measures for the Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) Program. Role: Investigator.
- 2014-2016. Jonas Center for Nursing and Veterans Healthcare; University of Kansas School of Nursing. Nurses on Boards in Kansas: A Targeted Board Descriptive Study. Role: Principal Investigator.
Awards & Honors
- KUMC Early Career Achievement in Nursing Alumna Award, 2016
- CGEAN International Nursing Administration Research Conference Best Poster Award, 2016
- DAISY Faculty Award, 2016
- Taunton Scholar Award, 2016
- Roma Lee Taunton Research Medal, 2016
- Sigma Theta Tau Research Endowment Award, 2016
- The Ron Bruch & Caryl Goodyear-Bruch Scholarship, 2016
- P.E.O. Scholarship, 2015
- Jonas Nurse Leader PhD Scholar, 2014-2016
- KU Jayhawker Lecturer Award, 2014
- Dr. Nancy Mosbaek Doctorate in Nursing Scholarship, 2013
- Kansas Nurse Educator Scholarship, 2012-2016
- March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Finalist, Rising Star category, 2011
May 26, 2017