Heather Nelson-Brantley, PhD, RN, CCRN-K
Ph.D., University of Kansas, School of Nursing, 2016
BSN, University of Kansas School of Nursing, 2011
BS, Psychology, minor in Business Administration, Kansas State University, 1997
- KU faculty since 2012
- Jonas Nurse Leader Scholar alumna
- Kansas Action Coalition Leadership Team
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Ambassador
- CGEAN member
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Chapter member
- National League for Nursing member
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754: Health Care Research
- NRSG 755: Professionalism in Advanced Nursing Practice
Select Research Interests
- Organizational systems and leadership
- Critical access hospitals and rural health
- Interprofessional teamwork
- Nurses on Boards of Directors
- Peltzer, J. N., Teel, C. S., Frank-Ragan, E., & Nelson-Brantley, H. V. (2016). Strategies for building advocacy skills among undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(3), 177-181. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20160216-11 PMID 26926221
- Warshawsky, N. E., Joseph, M. L., Fowler, D. L., Edmonson, C., Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Kowalski, K. (2015). CGEAN perspectives: Pioneering through chaos. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(3), 130-132. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000171
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Laverentz, D. M. (2014). Leaderless organization: Active learning strategy in a concept-based curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 53(8), 484. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20140722-12
- Nelson, H. (2011). From scrubs to stairs: The innovation of nursing excellence. Imprint, 58(3), 31-33.
- Nelson, H. (2011). Pediatric advance directives: A voice for the voiceless. Sigma Theta Tau International Delta Chapter Journal of Undergraduate Nursing Writing, 5(1), 55-63.
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V., Ford, D. J., Miller, K. M., Stegenga, K., Lee, R., & Bott, M. J. (March 2016). Leading change in critical access hospitals: A case study of the journey to Magnet®. Poster presentation. University of Kansas Medical Center Student Research Forum, Kansas City, KS.
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V. (October 2015). Nurses on boards in Kansas. Roundtable presentation. Jonas Scholars Leadership Conference, Washington, DC.
- Waldon,T., & Nelson-Brantley, H. V. (February 2015). Magnetizing mentoring: Innovative methods for building future nurse leaders. Keynote podium presentation. 2015 Magnetizing KC Conference, Kansas City, KS.
- Ford, D. J., Nelson-Brantley, H. V., Frank-Ragan, E., & Teel, C. S. (November 2014). Graduate nursing leadership curricula and the Kansas Action Coalition: Moving the future of nursing forward. Poster presentation. 2014 International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Laverentz, D. M. (October 2013). Interprofessional education and TeamSTEPPSTM: Delivering on our commitment to quality, safety and efficiency across the continuum of care. Podium presentation. 40th annual national Professional Nurse Educators Group conference: Lessons from Oz, assuring capabilities for future nursing education and practice, Kansas City, MO.
Awards & Honors
- KUMC Early Career Achievement in Nursing Alumna Award, 2016
- DAISY Faculty Award, 2016
- Taunton Scholar Award, 2016
- Roma Lee Taunton Research Medal, 2016
- Sigma Theta Tau Research Endowment Award, 2016
- The Ron Bruch & Caryl Goodyear-Bruch Scholarship, 2016
- P.E.O. Scholarship, 2015
- Jonas Nurse Leader PhD Scholar, 2014-2016
- KU Jayhawker Lecturer Award, 2014
- Dr. Nancy Mosbaek Doctorate in Nursing Scholarship, 2013
- Kansas Nurse Educator Scholarship, 2012-2016
- March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Finalist, Rising Star category, 2011
Jul 15, 2016