Professional Identity Events
Professional Identity in Nursing: Virtual Forum 2020
September 9, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. CDT
September 10, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. CDT
This event will enable the nursing community to take the next important steps in building new knowledge and language about professional identity in nursing and together develop materials from exemplars to communicate what we've learned to share with colleagues in practice, regulation and education.
At VF2020, you can expect to:
- Hear detailed briefing about current work and progress re: professional identity in nursing
- Network with like-minded colleagues from around the world
- Actively create learning materials for regulation, practice and education, using exemplars developed by our colleagues
- Together, help build the science and new language about Professional Identity in Nursing
- APRNs/Nurses: The University of Kansas Medical Center Area Health Education Center East is approved as a provider of CNE by the Kansas State Board of Nursing. This course offering is approved for 7.4 contact hours applicable for APRN and RN relicensure. Kansas State Board of Nursing provider number: LT0056-0749. Mary Beth Warren, MS, RN, Coordinator.
Learners participating in this educational offering will be able to:
- Describe the state of the science of professional identity in nursing.
- Identify the overall definition, the four domains, and corresponding key elements of professional identity in nursing: values and ethics, knowledge, leadership and professional comportment.
- Discuss how professional identity in nursing is being used to build new knowledge and new language within the discipline.
- Apply an understanding of the definitions, domains, key elements, and exemplars within nursing education, regulation, and practice.
- Co-create toolkit materials for incorporating the domains, definitions, key elements, and exemplars of professional identity in nursing for nurses in education, regulation, and practice settings.
Handouts and Presentations
- Professional Identity in Nursing: Propelling the Science
Rhoda Owens PhD, RN, Lynne M Kuhl, MSN,RN
- Professional Identity in Nursing Research Update
Beth Cusatis Phillips, PhD, RN, CNE, CHSE, Tulla Landis, PhD, RN-BC, CNL
- State of the Science
Nelda Godfrey, Ph.D., RN, ACNS-BC, FAAN
- Disseminating Widely: Report from the dissemination workgroup
KaryAnne Weybrew (co-chair), Terri Hinkley (co-chair)
- Virtual Forum 2020 Advisory Council and Chairs
- Virtual Forum 2020 Agenda
- Virtual Forum 2020 Facilitator Biosketches
- Virtual Forum 2020 Participants
- Exemplar, Scenario 6 - Values & Ethics Domain
- Day 2 Group Activity
- Group Activity and Large Group Report Form
- Group Activity Form
Questions? Please contact Lauren Roberts.
In 2018 and 2019, the KU School of Nursing hosted the Professional Identity in Nursing Think Tank. Because of the important work completed at those events, we will be hosting the Professional Identity in Nursing Conference in Fall 2020. If you are interested in news and events regarding Professional Identity in Nursing, please email is at LRoberts6@KUMC.edu to join our mailing list.
For past event outcomes, please see the proceedings below.