Janet D. Pierce, Ph.D., APRN, CCRN, FAAN
Christine A. Hartley Centennial Professor
University Distinguished Professor
Ph.D., University of Alabama, Birmingham
MS, University of Alabama, Birmingham
BSN, University of Oklahoma
Post Doctoral Training, Medical College of Virginia
- KU faculty since 1990
- Adjunct Professor in Department of Integrative and Molecular Physiology at KUMC
- Editorial Board Member, Nursing Research
- Editorial Board Member, American Journal of Critical Care
- Member, Military and Veteran Affairs Committee, University of Kansas Medical Center, 2014-present
- Kansas Action Coalition, Promoting Nursing Education in Kansas (PNEK) Committee, Member, 2013-present
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 935, Professionalism and Scholarship
- NRSG 806, Advanced Physiology
- NRSG 812, Advanced Pathophysiology
- Pierce, J.D., Harris, J., Gupte, R., Thimmesch, A., Diaz, F., Shen, Q., Hiebert, J.B., & Clancy, R.L., (2017). Ubiquinol reduces cellular damage in traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neuroscience Research.
- Pierce, J.D., Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Thimmesch, A., & Hiebert, J.B. (2017). A pilot study exploring the effects of ubiquinol on brain genomics following traumatic brain injury. Nursing Outlook, 65(5), S44-S52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2017.06.012
- Pierce, J.D., & Henly, S.J. (2017). Omics in Nursing Science. Nursing Research, 66(2), 61-62. doi:10.1097/NNR.0000000000000205.
- Shen, Q., Hiebert, J.B., Thimmesch, A.R., Clancy, R.L., & Pierce, J.D. (2016). Effects of ubiquinol in reducing the development of diastolic heart failure and mitochondrial injury. Research & Reviews: Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences, 2(2), 4-9.
- Hiebert, J., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., & Pierce, J.D. (2016). Impaired mycoardial bioenergetics in HFpEF and the role of antioxidants. Open Cardiovascular Medical Journal, 10, 158-162. doi:10.2174/1874192401610010158.
- Bates, A., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., Hiebert, J., & Pierce, J. (2014). Myocardial energetics and ubiquinol in diastolic heart failure. Nursing and Health Science, 16,(4):428-433. PMID: 25263245
- Shen, Q., Holloway, N., Thimmesch, A., Wood, J. G., Clancy, R. L., & Pierce, J. D. (2014). Ubiquinol Decreases Hemorrhagic Shock/Resuscitation Induced Microvascular Inflammation in the Rat Mesenteric Microcirculation. Physiology Review, 2(11), 1-7. PMID: 25413319
- Bennetts, P., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., Clancy, R., & Pierce, J. D. (2014). Effects of Ubiquinol with Fluid Resuscitation Following Hemorrhagic Shock. Experimental Physiology, 99(7), 1007-1015, DOI: 10.1113/expphysiol.2014.078600. PMID: 24860150
- "Reducing Cellular Damage in Traumatic Brain Injury Using Ubiquinol," 12th World Congress on Brain Injury, International Brain Injury Association, New Orleans, LA, March 30, 2017 (Podium, peer reviewed).
- "Myocardial Energy Deficiency in Diastolic Heart Failure." American Academy of Nursing Conference, 2017 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference, Washington, DC, October 6, 2017 (Poster).
- "Traumatic Brain Injury: Bench to Bedside." Sigma Theta Tau Conference on Science and Health Innovation, Arlington, TX, April 22, 2017 (Keynote speaker, Invited Podium Presentation).
- "Future of Nursing Science: Use of Basic Science in Nursing Research." University of Texas at Arlington, April 21, 2017 (Keynote speaker, Invited Podium Presentation).
- "Advancing Data Science in Doctoral Nursing Programs," American Academy of Nursing Doctoral Conference, CA, January 20, 2017 (Poster).
- "Developing a New Model for Nursing Data Science." American Academy of Nursing Conferece, 2016, Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference, Washington, DC, October 21, 2016 (Poster).
- "Ubiquinol decreases hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation induced microvascular inflammation in the rat mesenteric microcirculation." 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Optimizing Health by Addressing Complexity by the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Washington D.C., September 19, 2014 (Podium Presentation, peer-reviewed).
- "Using ubiquinol to reduce cellular injury in rats following hemorrhagic shock and fluid resuscitation." TriService Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice Dissemination Course: Creating the Science, Advancing the Practice, San Antonio, Texas, September 17, 2014 (Podium presentation, peer-reviewed).
- "Cellular Energetics in Heart Failure and Hemorrhagic Shock." 27th Annual Visions Symposium, Greater Kansas City Chapter of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Overland Park, KS, March 7, 2014, (Invited podium presentation).
- Symptom in Patients with Patients with Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction using Ubiquinol and/or D-ribose, Funded, Frontiers: The Heartland Institute for Clinical and Translational Research 2017 Stimulus Grant, (1 year, Total $20,000).
- Reducing Symptom Burden in Patients with Patients with Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction using Ubiquinol and/or D-ribose. NIH, R01, September 1 - present (3 years, Total $1,720,577).
- Reducing Cellular Damage in Traumatic Brain Injury Using Ubiquinol. Department of Defense, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program, Funded, July 2014 - June 2017 (2.0 year, Total $452,562).
- Coenzyme Q10: A New Treatment for Hemorrhagic Shock, Department of Defense, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program, Funded August 1, 2011-2014 (2.0 year, Total $432,230).
- Lung and Diaphragm Damage at Varying Oxygen Levels and Ventilator Modes Post Hemorrhagic Shock. Department of Defense, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program (HU0001-08-1-TS08), Funded July 15, 2008-September 20, 2011 (3.0 years, Total $450,000).
- Hemorrhagic Shock: Effects of Dopamine on the Diaphragm. Department of Defense, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program (HU0001-05-1-TS11), Funded July 15, 2005-July 30, 2008 (3.0 years, Total $450,000).
Awards & Honors
- March of Dimes, Nursing Educator Award, November 2014
- Honorary Nursing Alumna Award, University of Kansas, October, 2013
- Christine A. Hartley Endowed Professorship in Nursing, September 2013
- The Daisy Faculty Award, Graduate Teacher, University of Kansas, May 2013
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN), October 2012