Jill Peltzer, Ph.D., APRN-CNS
- Joined the School of Nursing in 2009
- PhD, University of Kansas
- MS, University of Kansas
- BSN, University of Kansas
- Master's Program
- PhD Program
Teaching Activities and Interests:
- NRSG 940: Knowledge and theory development in nursing science
- NRSG 942: Theory application in nursing science
- NRSG 949: Synthesis Workshop II
- NRSG 748: Theory for Practice and Research
- Theory and knowledge development in nursing science
- Philosophy and nursing knowledge
- Population health
Selected Research Interests:
- Self-care management
- Health outcomes in urban, underserved communities
- Qualitative methods, including Hermeneutic phenomenology
- Implementing the Future of Nursing recommendations in Kansas
- Peltzer, J.N., Domian, E. W. & Teel, C.S. (2016). Understanding the experiences of young African American women living with HIV. Western Journal of Nursing Research 38(2), 216 - 230. DOI: 10.1177/0193945914552167.
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Frank-Ragan, E., & Nelson-Brantley, H. (2016) Strategies for building advocacy skills among undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(3), 177 - 181. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20160216-11.
- Connelly, L. & Peltzer, J. (2016). Underdeveloped themes in qualitative research: Relationship with interviews and analysis. Clinical Nurse Specialist: The Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice, 30(1), 52 - 57. DOI: 10.1097/NUR.0000000000000173.
- Zhao, Y., Kim, H. & Peltzer, J. (2016). Relationships among substance use, multiple sexual partners, and condomless sex: Differences between male and female U.S. high school adolescents. Journal of School Nursing. DOI: 10.1177/1059840516635712
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Cline, J., & Cromwell, G. (2016). Navigating the path of academic progression: A qualitative descriptive study of associate degree nursing faculty, public health nurses, and school nurses. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 11(2), 44 - 51. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2015.11.001
- Peltzer, J.N., Ford, D.J., Shen, Q., Fischgrund, A., Teel, C.S., Pierce, J.D., Jamison, M., & Waldon, T. (2015). Exploring leadership roles, goals, and barriers among Kansas registered nurses: A descriptive cross-sectional study. Nursing Outlook, 63(2), 117-123. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2015.01.003.
- Peltzer, J.N., Domian, E.W., & Teel, C.S. (2015). Living in the Everydayness of HIV Infection: Experiences of Young African American Women. MEDSURG Nursing, 24(2), 111 - 118.
Select Poster/Podium Presentations:
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., & McGee, J. (2016). African American and Latino adolescents' perceptions of nursing as a career choice. Poster presentation at the Midwest Nursing Research Society conference, Milwaukee, WI.
- Peltzer, J. & Potts, M.E. (2016). Using big thinking: Integrating the humanities into doctoral nursing education. Podium presentation at AACN Doctoral Education conference, Naples, FL.
- Peltzer, J., Owaga, L., Tusher, S., Farnan, R., Gerkovitz, M., & Steidley, E. (2015). Psychological Distress Experienced Post-Diagnosis by HIV-Positive African American Women: A Qualitative Descriptive Study. Poster presentation at the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care annual conference, Chicago, IL.
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J.N, Teel, C.S., Ford, D.J., & Pierce, J.D. (2015). Building Data Infrastructure to Drive Policy Change. Poster presentation at the American Academy of Nursing, October, 2015, Washington DC.
- Peltzer, J., Domian, E., & Teel, C. (2014). The Complexity of the Everyday Lives of Young HIV-Positive African American Women. Podium Presentation, September 2014, at Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science 2014 State of the Science Conference, Washington DC.
- Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Shen, Q., Ford, D., Fischgrund, A., & Pierce, J. (2014). Kansas Nurse Leaders: Roles, Goals, & Barriers. Poster presentation at the American Academy of Nursing, October, 2014, Washington DC.
- Healthcare Foundation of Greater Kansas City, Co-PI
- REACH Healthcare Foundation, Co-PI
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation State Implementation Program, Project Staff
- University of Kansas School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research Pilot Faculty Award, PI
- Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses Research Study Award, PI
Awards & Honors:
- MEDSURG Nursing Research for Practice Writer's Award
- Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award
- Outstanding Qualitative Dissertation, Qualitative Research Interest Group, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2014
- KU SON Alumni Early Career Achievement Award, 2013
- Jayhawker RN Lecture Award, 2013
- Sigma Theta Tau International Delta Chapter PhD Doctoral Award, 2012
- Ruth O. McKibben Alumni Doctoral Award, 2011
- Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- International Philosophy Nursing Society
- Kansas Public Health Association
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- MNRS Qualitative Methods Research Interest Group Co-Chair
- Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter
- Transcultural Nursing Society
Peer Review Activities:
Reviewer, Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
Reviewer, Leadership in Health Services
Reviewer, MEDSURG Nursing
Reviewer, Qualitative Health Research
Reviewer, Western Journal of Nursing Research
Reviewer, American Nursing Foundation Research Grants
Reviewer, Midwest Nursing Research Society Research Grants
Reviewer, Kansas Department of Health and Environment Community-Based Primary Care Clinic grants
Aug 22, 2016