Jill Peltzer, Ph.D., APRN-CNS
- Joined the School of Nursing in 2009
- Project Director, Kansas Center for Cultural Competency Advancement
- Member of Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses, American Holistic Nurses Association, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, International Society of Nurses in Genetics, Kansas Action Coalition, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International, and Transcultural Nursing Society
- Reviewer for Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, MEDSURG Nursing, Qualitative Health Research, Western Journal of Nursing Research, and American Nursing Foundation Research Grants
- PhD, University of Kansas
- MS, University of Kansas
- BSN, University of Kansas
Academic Program Affiliations
Teaching Activities and Interests:
- NRSG 940: Knowledge and theory development in nursing science
- NRSG 942: Theory application in nursing science
- NRSG 949: Synthesis Workshop II
- NRSG 748: Theories for Practice and Research
- Nursing knowledge development, application, and evaluation
- Population health
- Cultural competency, health disparities, and health equity
Selected Research Interests:
- Cancers in women
- Genetics & Genomics
- Symptom science
- Women's health
- Qualitative methods, including Hermeneutic phenomenology
- Peltzer, J.N., Ogawa, L., Tusher, S., Farnan, R., & Gerkovich, M.M. (2017). A qualitative description of HIV-infected African American women's experiences of psychological distress and their coping strategies. The Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 28(2), 226 - 237. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2016.09.010
- Sachs, D., Peltzer, J.N., & McGee, J.L. (2017). Perceptions of health among Black adults living in a diverse urban community. Public Health Nursing, 34(4), 335-342. doi: 10.1111/phn.12323.
- Zhao, Y., Kim, H. & Peltzer, J. (2017). Relationships among substance use, multiple sexual partners, and condomless sex: Differences between male and female U.S. high school adolescents. Journal of School Nursing, 33(2), 154 - 166. DOI: 10.1177/1059840516635712
- Peltzer, J.N., Domian, E. W. & Teel, C.S. (2016). Understanding the experiences of young African American women living with HIV. Western Journal of Nursing Research 38(2), 216 - 230. DOI: 10.1177/0193945914552167.
- Connelly, L. & Peltzer, J. (2016). Underdeveloped themes in qualitative research: Relationship with interviews and analysis. Clinical Nurse Specialist: The Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice, 30(1), 52 - 57. DOI: 10.1097/NUR.0000000000000173.
Selected Poster/Podium Presentations:
- Peltzer, J.N., Teel, C., Hober, C., Haynes, V., Cain, C., Caudle, T., & Strange, E. (2017). Building a culturally competent nursing workforce. Abstract accepted for podium presentation at the Transcultural Nursing Society annual conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Peltzer, J. & Connelly, L. (2017). Qualitative research findings: Interrelationships between the underlying philosophy and methodology. Podium presentation at the Midwest Nursing Research Society annual conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Peltzer, J. & Lemos, R. (2017). Examining Morse's praxis theory of suffering among African American women living with HIV infection: A qualitative secondary data analysis. Poster discussion at the Midwest Nursing Research Society annual conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Peltzer, J., Selig, B., & Teel, C. (2016). The Kansas Nurse Leader residency program: A clinical - academic partnership to develop nurse leaders. Paper presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International Leadership Connection conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Peltzer, J. & Potts, M.E. (2016). Using big thinking: Integrating the humanities into doctoral nursing education. Podium presentation at AACN Doctoral Education conference, Naples, FL.
- MacArthur Interprofessional Collaboration Grant, PI
- REACH Healthcare Foundation, PI
- American Holistic Nurses Association, PI
Awards & Honors:
- National Institute of Nursing Research Intramural Training Award, Summer Genetics Institute, 2017
- March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Academic Educator Award, 2016
- Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award, 2015
- KU SON Alumni Early Career Achievement Award, 2013
- Jayhawker RN Lecture Award, 2013
Last modified: Sep 29, 2017