Karen G Tarnow, RN, PhD
Clinical Associate Professor
BSN, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
MS, University of Hawaii-Honolulu
PhD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Dr. Karen Gahan Tarnow came to the University of Kansas School of Nursing fall 1996 and was promoted to Clinical Associate Professor in 2007. She received her doctorate in adult and continuing education at the University of Nebraska and her master's in psychiatric/mental health nursing at the University of Hawaii.
Dr. Tarnow was the president of the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning 2005-2007. Throughout her career she has been a member of Sigma Theta Tau, Missouri Western State College Nursing Honor Society, American Society for Health Care Education and Training, Missouri Association for Healthcare Education and Alumnae Advisory Board for Creighton University College of Nursing.
Research activities for Dr. Tarnow include: Peripheral Intravenous Indwelling Time and Phlebitis, Anxiety in Beginning Nursing Students, Intradermal Injections: Bevel Up or Bevel Down and Drug Calculation With or Without a Calculator. Because of her excellence in teaching and nursing, she has been awarded a Sigma Theta Tau Pinnacle Award for Computer-Based Professional Education Technology, Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning for excellence in research in the field of simulation and Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Travel Award. Additionally, Dr. Tarnow is a Basic Life Support Instructor for the American Heart Association.
- Bonnel, W., Starling, C., Tarnow, K., & Wambach, K. (2003). "Blended Roles: Preparing Advanced Practice Nurse Educator/Clinician with a Web-Based Nurse Educator Certificate Program." Journal of Professional Nursing. 19(6) 347-353.
- Butcher, H.K. and Tarnow, K. (2005). "Teaching the Art of Professional Nursing in a Learning Laboratory." Annual Review of Nursing Education. Vol. 3. K. Heinrich & M. Oermann (Eds.). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Daffron, J., Esry, C., Nulph, R., & Tarnow, K. (1995). Nursing in the Community. Videotape. Missouri Western State College. Shown at the National League for Nursing Biennial Convention, Chicago, June.
- Gahan, K. (1976). "Problem-Solving as a Therapeutic Process. J. Psychiatric Nursing and Mental Health Services. 14(11): 37-44.
- Gahan, K. (1974). "Everyone Gets Angry Sometime." J. Psychiatric Nursing and Metal Health Services. May-June. 12(3): 27-33.
- Gahan, K.A. (1976). "Using Problem Oriented Records in Psychiatric Nursing." Current Issues in Psychiatric Nursing. C. Kneisl and H. Wilson (eds.) St. Louis: C.V. Mosby, p. 117-136.
- Gahan, K. & Talley, R. (1975). Block Scheduling System. Journal of Nursing Administration. Nov.-Dec. 5 (9): 39-41. Reprinted in Staffing III. J.O.N.A. Editorial Staff (eds.) Wakefield, MA: Contemporary Publishing Co., 1976, p. 28-30.
- Kumm, S., Tarnow, K, Shupe, S., & Hicks, V. (2006) Teaching students to promote positive patient change. Journal of Nursing Education. 45(4), 143-144.
- Powell, J., Tarnow, K.G., & Perucca, R. (2008). The Relationship Between Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Indwell Time and the Incidence of Phlebitis. Journal of Infusion Nursing. 31(1), 39-45.
- Tarnow, K.G. (2000). "Drug Calculation Examinations: Do Calculators Make a Difference?" Nurse Educator. Sept.-Oct. 25(5): 213-215.
- Tarnow, K.G. (2005). Humanizing the Learning Laboratory. Journal of Nursing Education. 44(1). 43-44.
- Tarnow, K.G. (1997). "Working with Adult Learners." Nurse Educator. Sept.-Oct., 1979. IV(5): 34-40. Reprinted in CAN/CMT Instructors Manual and Resource Guide. Metropolitan Community Colleges. Version 1.0, April, 1992.
- Tarnow, K. and King, N. (2004). Intradermal injections: Bevel up or bevel down. Applied nursing research. 17(4): 275-282.
- Tarnow, K. & Mayo-Rejai, R. (2005). Quick assessment of computer skills: Setting the bar. Nurse Educator. 30(2): 2-3.
- Tarnow, K.G. & Werst, C.A. (2000). Drug calculation examinations: Do calculators make a difference? Nurse Educator. Sept.-Oct. 25(5): 213-215.
May 07, 2013