Karen Wambach, Ph.D., RN, IBCLC, FILCA, FAAN
Director, PhD Program
Ph.D., University of Arizona
MS, University of Arizona
BSN, University of Minnesota
- KU School of Nursing faculty since 1992
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) since 1997
- Member of American Nurses Association, Missouri Nurses Association
- Member of Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nursing since 1987
- Member of International Lactation Consultant Association - Director of Research and Special Projects 2009-2012
- Member of Midwest Nursing Research Society; Women's Health Transitions in Childbearing Research Interest Group
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International since 1989, Delta and Beta Mu Chapters
- Peer reviewer for Journal of Human Lactation, Journal of Pediatric Nursing, American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing
- Co-Chair of the Mother and Child Health Coalition - Breastfeeding Collaborative
Academic Program Affiliations
- BSN - Coordinator of the BSN Honors Program
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 946, Measurement Principles and Practice
- NRSG 999, PhD Dissertation
- NRSG 980, Doctorate of Nursing Practice Project
- NRSG 898, Masters Research Project in Nursing
- NRSG 804, Interpreting Research for Applied Science
- NURS 382, 482, 483, Honors Research Seminar and Practica
- Wambach, K. & Riordan, J. (2016). Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 5th edition. Boston: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Wambach, K., Domian, E., Page-Goertz, S., Wurtz, H., & Hoffman, K. (2016). Experiences of exclusive breastfeeding among Mexican-American women. Journal of Human Lactation, 32, 103-111. doi: 10.1177/0890334415599400 PMCID: PMC4710489
- Linares, A.M., Wambach, K., Rayens, M.,K., Wiggins, A., Coleman, E., & Dignan, M.B. (2016). Modeling the Influence of Early Skin-to-Skin Contact on Exclusive Breastfeeding in a Sample of Hispanic Immigrant Women. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, DOI 10.1007/s10903-016-0380-8.
- Spencer, B., Wambach, K., & Domian, E. (2015). African American Women's Breastfeeding Experiences: Cultural, Personal, and Political Voices. Qualitative Research, 25(7), 974-87. doi: 10.1177/1049732314554097. PMID: 25288408
- Davis, AM, Wambach, K, Nelson, E., Odar, C., Lillis, T., McKinley, A., & Gallagher, M. (2014). Health Behavior change in Pregnant Women: A Two Phase Pilot Study. Telemedicine and e-Health, 20, 1165-1169. PMID: 25289706
- *Wambach, K., Bateson, T., Matheny, P., & Easter, K.. A descriptive study of the attitudes, perceptions, and experience of human milk donation. International Lactation Consultant Association Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 20, 2017.
- Wambach, K., Davis, A., & Nelson, E. The momHealth feasibility study. Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Minneapolis, MN. April, 2017.
- Wambach, K., Teel, C., Ogawa, L., Peltzer, J. Baird, M., & Park, S. PhD Synthesis Courses and Qualifying Examinations: Threading Innovation throughout the Curriculum at the University of Kansas. American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Doctoral Education Conference, San Diego, CA., January, 2017
- Wambach, K., Siengsukon, C., Befort, C., Fazzino, T., Evans, T., Thornton, Barela, A., K., & Geiger, P. A Childcare Needs Assessment at an Academic Medical Center. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Milwaukee, WI, March 18, 2016.
- Wambach, K., Prusia, V., Britt, C., & Murray, L. (2014). Supporting Breastfeeding: Evaluation of the University of Kansas Medical Center Express Stations. International Lactation Consultant Association Conference, Phoenix, AZ., July 25, 2014.
- 2016. Wambach, K. Principal Investigator. A Descriptive Study of the Experience of Human Milk Donation. KU School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research Faculty Research Award.
- 2016. Wambach, K., Davis, A., Nelson, E. Co-PIs. momHealth Pilot: An Interprofessional Approach to Evaluate a Multiple Health Behavior Change Intervention with Pregnant and Parenting Teens Using Mobile Technology. MacArthur Interprofessional Collaboration Award.
- 2014-2016. Wambach, K. Consultant. Heather Gibbs, PI, KUMC. Adaptation and Validation of a Nutrition Literacy Assessment Instrument. National Institute Child Health Development. R03.
- 2012- 2014. Wambach, K. Co-investigator. National Database for Nursing Quality Indicators. Nancy Dunton, PI. Contract from the American Nurses Association.
- 2003-2007. Wambach, K. Principal Investigator. Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding In Adolescent Mothers. NIH-NINR-1R01 NR07773-01A2.
Awards & Honors
- 2017-2022 Chancellor's Club Teaching Professorship
- 2015, Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
- 2012, Fellow, International Lactation Consultant Association
- 2010, The Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award
- 2004, University of Kansas Medical Center Faculty Investigator Research Award
Aug 25, 2017