Karen Wambach, Ph.D., RN, IBCLC, FILCA, FAAN
Director, PhD Program
Ph.D., University of Arizona
MS, University of Arizona
BSN, University of Minnesota
- KU School of Nursing faculty since 1992
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) since 1997
- Member of American Nurses Association, Missouri Nurses Association
- Member of Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nursing since 1987
- Member of International Lactation Consultant Association - Director of Research and Special Projects 2009-2012
- Member of Midwest Nursing Research Society; Women's Health Transitions in Childbearing Research Interest Group
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International since 1989, Delta and Beta Mu Chapters
- Peer reviewer for Journal of Human Lactation, Journal of Pediatric Nursing, American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing
- Co-Chair of the Mother and Child Health Coalition - Breastfeeding Collaborative
Academic Program Affiliations
- BSN - Coordinator of the BSN Honors Program
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 946, Measurement Principles and Practice
- NRSG 999, PhD Dissertation
- NRSG 980, Doctorate of Nursing Practice Project
- NRSG 898, Masters Research Project in Nursing
- NRSG 804, Interpreting Research for Applied Science
- NRSG 755, Professionalism in Advance Nursing Practice
- NRSG 754, Health Care Research
- NRSG 748, Theory for Practice and Research
- NURS 383, 482, 483, Honors Research Seminar and Practica
- Wambach, K. & Riordan, J. (2016). Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 5th edition. Boston: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Wambach, K., Domian, E., Page-Goertz, S., Wurtz, H., & Hoffman, K. (2016). Experiences of exclusive breastfeeding among Mexican-American women. Journal of Human Lactation, 32, 103-111. doi: 10.1177/0890334415599400 PMCID: PMC4710489
- Spencer, B., Wambach, K., & Domian, E. (2015). African American Women's Breastfeeding Experiences: Cultural, Personal, and Political Voices. Qualitative Research, 25(7), 974-87. doi: 10.1177/1049732314554097. PMID: 25288408
- Mortazavi, F., Mousavi, S.A., Chaman, R., Wambach, K.A., Mortazavi, S.S., & Khosravi, A. (2015). Breastfeeding practices during the first month postpartum and associated factors: Impact on breastfeeding survival. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 17(4):e27814. PMID:26023352
- International Lactation Consultant Association (2014). Clinical Guidelines for Establishment of Exclusive Breastfeeding, 3rd edition. K. Wambach & A. Spangler, Eds. Raleigh NC: International Lactation Consultant Association.
- Davis, AM, Wambach, K, Nelson, E., Odar, C., Lillis, T., McKinley, A., & Gallagher, M. (2014). Health Behavior change in Pregnant Women: A Two Phase Pilot Study. Telemedicine and e-Health, 20, 1165-1169. PMID: 25289706
- Rojjanasrirat, W., Wambach, K., & Nelson, E. (2012). A Pilot Study of Home-Based Videoconferencing for Breastfeeding Support. Journal of Human Lactation, 28, 464-467. PMID: 22802355
- Wambach, K., Aaronson, L., Breedlove, G., Domian, E., Rojjanasrirat, W., & Yeh, H. (2011). A randomized controlled trial of breastfeeding support and education for adolescent mothers. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 33,486-505. PMID: 20876551
- Wambach, K., Siengsukon, C., Befort, C., Fazzino, T., Evans, T., Thornton, Barela, A., K., & Geiger, P. A Childcare Needs Assessment at an Academic Medical Center. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Milwaukee, WI, March 18, 2016.
- Wambach, K., Prusia, V., Britt, C., & Murray, L. (2014). Supporting Breastfeeding: Evaluation of the University of Kansas Medical Center Express Stations. International Lactation Consultant Association Conference, Phoenix, AZ., July 25, 2014.
- Wambach, K., Rojjanasrirat, W., & Bandy, B. (2014). Grassroots to the Treetops: Program Evaluation for the Kansas Business Case for Breastfeeding. International Lactation Consultant Association Conference Conference, Phoenix, AZ., July 25, 2014.
- Wambach, K., Boyle, D., Garard, L., Bronaugh, D., & Dunton, N. (March, 2013). Development and Testing of Registered Nurse Staffing Indicators for Postpartum Units. Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Poster Discussion Forum, Chicago, Ill.
- Wambach, K., Domian, E., Page-Goertz, S., Wurtz, H., & Hoffman, K. (March, 2012) Experiences of exclusive breastfeeding among Latino mothers. Podium Presentation at 7th Breastfeeding and Feminism Symposium. Greensboro, North Carolina.
- 2016. Wambach, K. Principal Investigator. A Descriptive Study of the Experience of Human Milk Donation. KU School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research Faculty Research Award.
- 2016. Wambach, K., Davis, A., Nelson, E. Co-PIs. momHealth Pilot: An Interprofessional Approach to Evaluate a Multiple Health Behavior Change Intervention with Pregnant and Parenting Teens Using Mobile Technology. MacArthur Interprofessional Collaboration Award.
- 2014-2016. Wambach, K. Consultant. Heather Gibbs, PI, KUMC. Adaptation and Validation of a Nutrition Literacy Assessment Instrument. National Institute Child Health Development. R03.
- 2014 - 2015.Wambach, K. Co-Investigator/Mentor. Jacobson, L. PI. University of KS School of Medicine. Stroke Risk and Breastfeeding History among a Racially Diverse Group of Women. University of Kansas Medical Center-Frontiers Pilot and Collaborative Studies Funding Program and Wichita Center for Graduate and Medical Education - Kansas Bioscience Authority (WCGME-KBA).
- 2012- 2014. Wambach, K. Co-investigator. National Database for Nursing Quality Indicators. Nancy Dunton, PI. Contract from the American Nurses Association.
- 2010. Wambach, K. Principal Investigator, Barriers to Exclusive Breastfeeding in Latino Mothers. Co-Investigators E. Domian and S. Page-Goertz. University of Kansas School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research and University of Kansas School of Medicine.
- 2003-2007. Wambach, K. Principal Investigator. Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding In Adolescent Mothers. NIH-NINR-1R01 NR07773-01A2.
Awards & Honors
- 2015, Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
- 2012, Fellow, International Lactation Consultant Association
- 2010, The Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award
- 2004, University of Kansas Medical Center Faculty Investigator Research Award
- 2001, The University of Kansas Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award
Aug 18, 2016