Martha B. Baird, Ph.D., APRN/CNS-BC, CTN-A
Ph.D. in Nursing, University of Arizona
MN, University of Kansas Medical Center
BSN, Avila University
RN Diploma, Research College of Nursing
- KU faculty since 2009
- Transcultural Nursing Society, Scholar
- Associate Editor, Journal of Transcultural Nursing
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certificate
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 826, Global Health
- NRSG 839, Global Health Practicum
- NRSG 844, Advanced Psychiatric Assessment
- NURS 945, Synthesis I
- Baird, M.B., Whitney, L. & Caedo, C. (2017). Experiences and Attitudes Among Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses (PMH-APRNs) In the Use of Telemental Health (TMH): Results of An Online Survey. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/1078390317717330
- Baird, M. B, Bimali, M., Cott, A., Brimacombe, M., Petty, TR, & Daley, C. M. (2017). Methodological Challenges in Conducting Research with Refugee Women. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 38(4), doi: 10.1080/01612840.2017.1291775. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2017.1291775
- Baird, M. B., LeMaster, J. W., & Harding, A. (October, 2016). Translation and cultural adaptation of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 (HSCL-25) into Nepalese for use with Bhutanese refugees. The Online Journal of Cultural Competence in Nursing and Healthcare (OJCCNH).
- Baird, M. B. & Skariah, L. R. (July, 2016). Translating the Hopkins Symptom Checklist 25 (HSCL-25) into Dinka, A South Sudanese tribal language. International Journal of Translation and Interpreting Research, 8(2), 96-109, doi: 10.12807/ti.108202.2016.a07.
- Baird, M. B., Williams Domian, E., Mulcahy, E. Mabior, R., & Tanui, G. (2015). Creating a bridge of understanding between two worlds: A Community-based collaborative action research project with South Sudanese refugee women. Journal of Public Health Nursing, doi: 10.1111/phn.12172.
- Baird, M. B., Smith, C. A. & DeBacco, K. (2014). Perspectives of northern Ugandan health providers about the effect of cultural beliefs and practices on birth outcomes. Healthcare for Women International, 0, 1-16. doi: 10.1080/07399332.2014.942907.
- Baird, M. B. October, 20, 2017. Methodological Challenges Encountered in Conducting Research with Refugees. Podium presentation at the 43rd Annual Conference of the Transcultural Nursing Society in New Orleans, LA.
- Whitney, L., Baird, M. B., & Caedo, C. (2017, October). Results of an online survey about the experiences and attitudes among psychiatric mental health advance practice nurses (PMH-APNs) in the use of telemental health (TMH). Poster session presented at the American Psychiatric Nurses Association 31st Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Baird, M. B. & Whitney, L. May 28, 2017. Telemental Health (TMH) Guidelines for Education of Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses (PMH-APRNs). Poster presentation at the International Congress of Nursing (ICN), 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
- Baird, M. B. March 19, 2016. Liminality in cultural transition: Development of concept using the ID-EA method. Poster session at the MNRS 40th Annual Research Conference. Milwaukee, WI.
- Baird, M. B. October 30, 2015. Promoting Refugee Women's Health in Resettlement: Healthy Sudanese Families. Podium presentation at the 41st Annual Conference of the Transcultural Nursing Society. Portland, OR.
- 2017-Present. Empirical Validation of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 (HSCL-25) Bhutanese Nepali Version. Malone University, Ohio.
- 2016-2017. Nursing Faculty Perceptions about Cultural Competence. University of Kansas Medical Center
- 2016-2017. Telemental Health (TMH) Guidelines for Education of Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses (PMH-APRNs)
- 2014-2016. Promoting Mental Health in Refugee Women. CTSA Frontiers.
- 2013-2015. Translation of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 (HSCL-25) and Harvard Trauma Questionnaire (HTQ) into Nepalese: A Bhutanese Language. MacArthur Interprofessional Collaboration Award.
Awards & Honors
- Fulbright Specialist
- Executive Board member- Jewish Vocational Services (JVS)
Dec 26, 2017