Mary N. Meyer, Ph.D., RN
Clinical Associate Professor
Director, Clinical Learning Laboratory
Ph.D., University of Kansas School of Nursing
MN, University of Kansas School of Nursing
BSN, Webster University, Kansas City, Mo.
Diploma, Registered Nurse, Research Medical Center School of Nursing, Kansas City, Mo.
- KU faculty since 2007
- Director of Clinical Learning Lab
- Advisory board for KUMC simulation and IPE
- International Society of Simulation in Healthcare, member
- International Society of Simulation in Healthcare, Research board
- International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation in Nursing, member
- Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter, Advisory board/recording secretary
- Peer reviewer for Clinical Simulation in Nursing
Academic Program Affiliations
- Graduate Teaching Appointment
- Applied lab courses
- Contributor to Educational Courses specific to Simulation
- Available for curricular planning committees
- Participated in Master's theses committees
Current Areas of Teaching
- NURS 331, Basic Assessment and Therapeutic Interventions
- NURS 335, Quality Improvement
- Meyer, M., Groller, K., Myers, S., Busenhart, C., Waugh, S., & Stegenga, K. (2014). Simulation as a Learning Experience: Perceptions of New Registered Nurses. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10 384-394. doi:10.1016/j.ecns.2014.03.002
- Boehm, H., Vandenberg-Eide, B., Johnson, A., Meyer, M., Bradford, T., Winright, S., & Long, K., (2013). Nurse Academy. American Journal of Nursing, 113, 66-69.
- Meyer, M., Connors, H., Hou, G., & Gajewski, B. (2011). The effect of simulation on clinical performance: A junior nursing student clinical comparison study. Simulation in Healthcare, 6, 269-276. PMID: 21785388
- Warren, J.J., Manos, L.V., Meyer, M. & Roche, A. (2012). Chapter 48, Integrating an Academic Electronic Health Record into Simulations. In Campbell, S.H. & Daley, K. (2nd eds) (2012). Simulation Scenarios for Nurse Educators: Making it Real (2nd Ed). New York, N.Y.: Springer Publishing Company, Inc.
- Warren, J. J., Meyer, M. N., Thompson, T., & Roche, A., (2010). Transforming Nursing Education: Integrating Informatics and Simulations. In Weaver, Delaney, Weber & Carr's (Eds.), Nursing and Informatics for the 21st Century: An International Look at Practice, Trends and the Future (Second Ed.). Chicago: HIMSS Press.
- Meyer, M., & Busenhart, C. (2014, September). Acting Like a Nurse. Johnson County Simulation Conference; Overland Park, KS.
- Scotten, M., & Meyer, M. (2014, January). SSH Interprofessional Education Affinity Group: A Pecha Kucha Session on Simulation-Enhanced Interprofessional Education-The Importance of Evaluation. International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare 2014, January. San Francisco, CA (International).
- Meyer, M., Neal, M, Swoboda, S. (2013, July) Supporting Curricular Outcomes Through Strategic Integration of Simulation. Pre-conference workshop at Contemporary Forums Revolutionizing Nursing Education Using Interprofessional Teams and Technology. Anaheim California (Invited speaker).
- Meyer, M. (2013, July) Incorporating Technologies into Simulation at Contemporary Forums Revolutionizing Nursing Education Using Interprofessional Teams and Technology. Anaheim California (Invited speaker).
- Meyer, M. (2013, July) Low and High Technology Approaches to IPE at Contemporary Forums Revolutionizing Nursing Education Using Interprofessional Teams and Technology. Anaheim California (Invited speaker).
- 2013 Kwantlen Polytechnic University Science & Technology Research Grants Program (S&T) and INASCL Debra Spunt Mini Grant to study the effects of a repetitive practice debriefing model on student performance.
- 2013 The Kansas Reynolds Program in Aging to train students to work in interprofessional teams to improve care for the aging patient. My contribution surrounds faculty development as it pertains to simulated learning environments.
- 2010 KU Endowment: Using generic computer based simulations to study the effects of decision making training on nursing students.
- 2009 Jean Johnson Research Grant to compare on-line vs. in-class student performance in Therapeutic Techniques course.
Awards & Honors
- 2014, The Daisy Faculty Award
- 2013, Nominated for 2014 Elsevier Exceptional Nursing Educator Award
- 2013, National League for Nursing Simulation Leader
- 2012, Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award
- 2012, Third place in Research division for poster: Meyer, M.N., Connors, Hl, Huster, J, Septer, M., (2012, June) The Effect of Simulation on Clinical Performance: A Junior Nursing Student Clinical Comparison Study. The International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation & Learning, San Antonio, TX.
Aug 06, 2015