Maryellen Potts, Ph.D.
Education Assistant Professor
School of Nursing
Ph.D., Medical University of South Carolina
Ph.D., Union Institute & University
MA, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
BA, Connecticut College
- KU faculty since 2018
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754, HealthCare Research
- NRSG 911, Tools for Practice Doctorate Scholarship
- NURS 936, Philosophy of Nursing Science
- NURS 937, Innovative Theories and Models for Nursing Science
- Vick, L.L., Potts, M., Jaskowiak, M., & Gibson, R.W. (2018). Strategies to guide hydroxyurea adherence among patients with sickle cell disease. Abstract published in Journal of Sickle Cell Disease and Hemoglobinopathies, Oct., 5.
- Nemeth, LS, Rice, LJ, Potts, M, Melvin, C, Jefferson, M, and Hughes-Halbert, C. (2017). Priorities and preferences for weight management and cardiovascular risk reduction in primary care. Family and Community Health, 40(3), 245-252.
- Potts, M, Cartmell, K, Nemeth, L, Bhattacharjee, G, and Qanungo, S. (2017). A systematic review of palliative care intervention outcomes and outcome measures in low resource countries. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2017.12.487
- 2018 School of Nursing, University of Kansas, Faculty Development Education Summit, "Let's Flip Our Attitude from ‘Learn to Write' to ‘Write to Learn.'"
- 2018 Vick, L.L., Potts, M., Jaskowiak, M., & Gibson, R.W. (2018). Strategies to guide hydroxyurea adherence among patients with sickle cell disease. Poster presented at the 2018 Annual Conference of the Programs to Increase Diversity Among Individuals Engaged in Health Related Research (PRIDE), Bethesda, MD.
- 2017 Mercer University, Penfield College Faculty Development Programs, ATL. "Our Students Can't Write! or, How to Help Them Move Towards Relative Competence" and "Integrating Students' Lived Experience with Course Content"
- 2016 American Association of Colleges of Nursing PhD Education Conference, Naples, FL., "Using ‘Big Thinking:' Integrating the Humanities into Doctoral Nursing Education"
- 2018 Center for Global Health, Medical University of South Carolina, pilot project "Development of a Kenyan Stakeholder-Informed Palliative Care Research Agenda."
Awards & Honors
- F 2017 Medical University of South Carolina, College of Nursing; Marguerite Andell Scholarship
- Sp 2017 Medical University of South Carolina, College of Nursing; Jean P. Wilson Endowed Scholarship
- 2011 Iowa Wesleyan College, Chadwick Teacher of the Year
- 2000 Nazareth College, Excellence in Teaching Award for Part-Time Faculty