Nancy Dunton, Ph.D., FAAN
Ph.D. Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
MS Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
BA Sociology, University of Kansas
- KU faculty since 2001
- Director, Center for Data Science
- Former Director, National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators®
- Peer reviewer for: BioMed Central-Nursing, BioMedCentral-Health Services Research, Health Services Research, International Journal of Nursing Studies, International Journal of Healthcare Quality, Western Journal of Nursing Research
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754, Health Care Research
- He, J. & Dunton, N., & Staggs, V. (2012). Unit-level time trends in inpatient fall rates of US hospitals. Medical Care, 50, 810-807
- Bergquist-Beringer, S., Dong, L., He, J., & Dunton, N. (2013). Pressure ulcers and prevention among acute care hospitals in the United States. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 39, 404-414.
- Stags, V.S., & Dunton, N. (2014). Association between rates of unassisted inpatient falls and levels of registered and non-registered nurse staffing. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 26, 87-92.
- Park, S.H., Boyle, D.K., Bergquist-Beringer, S., Staggs, V.S., & Dunton, N. (2014). Concurrent and Lagged Effects of Registered Nurse Turnover and Staffing on Unit-acquired Pressure Ulcers. Health Services Research, 49, 1205-1225.
- Waters, T., Daniels, M., Bazzoli, G., Perencevich, E., Dunton, N., Staggs, V., Potter, C., Fareed, N., Liu, M., Shorr, R. (2015). Impact of Medicare's Nonpayment for Hospital Acquired Conditions: Lessons for Future Policy? JAMA
- Dunton, N. (October 2011). Preventing Never Events: How to Use Nursing Data to Ensure Nursing Quality Care. Texas Women's University Fall Forum, Houston, TX.
- Dunton, N. (June 6, 2012) BSN Educated Nurses in NDNQI, Missouri Organization of Nurse Administrators Teamwork Summit, Pre-Summit meeting, Jefferson City, MO.
- Dunton, N., Boyle, D.K., & Cramer, E. (January 2013). Reaching to the Core of Success: NDNQI's Latest Research Findings. 7th Annual American Nurses Association's Nursing Quality Conference: Reaching the Core of Quality. February 6-8, Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation.
- Dunton, N. (February 2014). The Value of Nursing. 8th Annual American Nurses Association's Nursing Quality Conference: Advancing Quality Outcomes.
- He, Jianghua, Staggs, V., Bergquist-Beringer, S., and Dunton, N. Longitudinal Analyses of the Association between Nurse Staffing and Patient Outcomes for U.S. Acute Care Hospitals. Joint Statistical Meeting, Boston, MA. August 2, 2014.
- 2011-2014 National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators-Project Continuation. Funded by the American Nurses Association. Principal Investigator
- 2014-2018 Development, Implementation and Maintenance of Quality Measures for Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). Subcontract from Econometrica from a contract with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Subaward Principal Investigator. Mark Stewart, Principal Investigator.
- 2014-2018 Care interventions and quality of care in rural and urban nursing units. Sub-recipient to Virginia Commonwealth University from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Grant No: R01 HS023147. Investigator. Marianne Baernholdt, PhD, Principal Investigator
- 2015-2017 Research and Development Support for the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators. Press Ganey Associates. Co-Principal Investigator
Awards & Honors
- 2009 Honorary Alumnus Award, University of Kansas Medical Center, School of Nursing
- 2011 Honorary Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2011 2011 Book of the Year Award, American Journal of Nursing for NDNQI Case Studies in Nursing Quality Improvement. American Nurses Association, Silver Spring, MD
- 2012 Research Mentor Award, Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues, AcademyHealth
- 2015 First Recipient, Karen L. Miller Visionary Leadership Award in Nursing. Sponsored by Voya Financial Group. School of Nursing, University of Kansas Medical Center