Phoebe D Williams, Ph.D., RN
BSN, 1962, University of the Philippines
MA, 1969, University of the Philippines
MN, 1970, University of Pittsburgh, PA
Ph.D., 1972, University of Pittsburgh, PA
Certificate, 1995, Tufts University, New England Epidemiology Institute, Boston, MA
Phoebe D. Williams, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, joined the KU School of Nursing in 1992 after teaching at the University of Florida for 10 years and the University of the Philippines Health Sciences Center in Manila for 19 years.
Williams' current research has focused on outcomes research in oncology care for adults and children, mixed methods research, instrument developmen, and international/ diverse groups research. Her earlier research focused on the care of families and children with chronic illness, and growth and development.
Williams teaches graduate and undergraduate honors research, and dissertation and Capstone advising. Williams has published books, book chapters, numerous peer-reviewed data-based articles and educational materials dealing with her areas of expertise.
Published in Cancer Nursing (2012) 35 (2), funded by the Alex Lemonade Stand Fdn, she and others at five sites across the USA have calibrated the Therapy-Related Symptom Checklist for Children (TRSC-C). Research on the TRSC-C also have been conducted in Puerto Rico, Hong Kong, and Thailand. An adult version of the scale (TRSC) has been developed and used in studies in the USA, China, Hong Kong,Thailand, Puerto Rico, and Manila. Earlier, Dr. Williams also completed a large randomized controlled trail (RCT) study on interventions for siblings and parents of children with chronic illness, funded for $1.3 million by the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Md.. Two Fulbright awards and other sources funded her studies on child development including the restandardization (in metropolitan Manila) of the Denver Developmental Screening Test; a study in Indonesia on the Child Development Expectations Inventory; and in Thailand, on the HOME scale.
She has published numerous books, chapters, articles, and many other educational materials dealing with oncology, pediatrics, and research. She also has extensive experience as a reviewer; she had chaired the review groups on Fulbright grants for the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars, Washington, D.C. Prior to this assignment, she successfully completed a Fulbright Regional Research Grant in Indonesia and the Philippines; and a second award, to Thailand. Dr. Williams also has reviewed for the Scientific Review Group, National Institutes of Health. Widely recognized in her field, Dr. Williams has served as a consultant for national and international organizations. In addition to these activities, she has presented at numerous research conferences. She was named as 2007 Distinguished Alumna at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International and Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for International Scholars, and a Life Member of Sigma Xi since 1986 and Phi Kappa Phi, since 1962.
- Williams AR, Williams PD et al (2006). Validity of the Revised Impact on Family Scale. Journal of Pediatrics,146,
- Williams PD & Williams, AR. (2005). Nursing, social science methods used in. Encyclopedia of Social Measurement. UK: Elsevier
- Williams PD & Williams, AR. (2003). Krankenpflege: Umsetzung der Outcomes im klinischen Alltag [Nursing: Using Outcomes in Day-to-Day Practice]. In F. Porzsolt, AR Williams, RM Kaplan, Eds. Klinische Okonomik: Effectivitat & Effizienz von Gesundheitsleistungen [Clinical Economics: Effectiveness and Efficiency in the Provision of Health Care Services, pp. 227-234]. Landsberg, Germany: ECOMED.
- Williams PD et al. (2003). A community-based intervention for siblings and parents of children with chronic illness and disability: The ISEE Study. Journal of Pediatrics, 143, 386-393.
- Williams PD et al. (2002). Well siblings and mothers of children with chronic illness: A structural equation model. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 25, 411-424.
- Williams PD (1997). Siblings and pediatric chronic illness. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 34, 312-23.
- Williams PD & Williams AR (2000). Individual, Family and Community: Promoting and Restoring Health and Well-Being. Quezon City: JMC Press.
- Williams PD (2000). The Metro-Manila Developmental Screening Test Manual (2nd Edition).Manila: UPCN.
- WilliamsPD (1984). The Metro-Manila Developmental Screening Test: A normative study. Nursing Research, 33 208-212.
- Williams PD, Soetjiningsih, Williams AR (2000). Balinese Mothers' Developmental Timetables for Young Children. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 22(6), 69-87.
- Williams PD et al.(2003).Thai mothers and children and the HOME Inventory. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 40, 249-258.
- Monteflor MO, Williams AR, Williams PD, et al. (2006). Parent motivation strategies and the performance of preschoolers. Early Childhood Education Journal,33. Online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10643-005-0035-1.
- Williams PD & Williams AR (1999). Transition from hospital to home by mothers of preterm infants: Path analysis results over 3 time periods. Families, Systems & Health, 15, 429-46.
- Williams PD et al. (1999). Fatigue among mothers of preterm infants discharged to the home on apnea monitors. Applied Nursing Research, 12, 69-77.
- Youngblood M, Williams PD, Eyles H, Waring J, & Runyon S (1994). A comparison of two methods of assessing cancer therapy-related symptoms. Cancer Nursing, 17, 37-44.
- Williams PD, Ducey K, Sears A, Williams AR, Tobin-Rumelhart SE & Bunde P. (2001). Treatment type and symptom severity among oncology patients by self-report. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 38, 1-9.
- Williams PD et al. (2006). Cancer treatment, symptom monitoring, and self-care in adults. Cancer Nursing, 29(3).
- Williams PD et al. (2006). Symptom monitoring and dependent care during chemotherapy in children. Cancer Nursing, 29(3).
- Robinson J, Williams P, Powell C et al (2008). The TRSC-C in Kansas outpatient clinics (paper).SR Forum Proceedings. University of Kansas Medical Center: Kansas City, KS, April.
- Williams P, Williams A, Brewer M, Powell C, et al (2008). TRSC-C in pediatric oncology U.S. outpatient clinics (poster). In the Proceedings:Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Singapore, July.
- Williams P, Johnson R, Williams K et al. (2008). Effective management of common symptoms of oncology patients during therapy (poster). Kansas Nursing Research Exchange, Topeka, KS, Nov
- Lopez V, Williams P, et al. (2008). Cancer treatment, symptom monitoring, and self-care in adults: China (poster). In the Proceedings:Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Singapore, July.
- Riddle R & Williams P (2009). Treatment time and TRSC-C symptom frequency and severity among pediatric ALL outpatients (paper). SR Forum Proceedings. University of Kansas Medical Center: Kansas City, KS, April.
- Taylor A & Williams P (2009). The Therapy-Related Symptom Checklist-Children (TRSC-C) in oncology inpatients (poster). SR Forum Proceedings. University of Kansas Medical Center: Kansas City, KS, April.
- Branstetter JE, Williams P, et al (2008). Communication in families of children with chronic illness. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 31(4): 171-184.
- Williams P et al. (2009). Pediatric chronic illness (Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis) effects on well siblings: Parents' voices. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 32(3).
- Piamjariyakul, U., Williams, PD.,Prapakorn S, Kim M, Park L, Rojjanasrirat W, Williams A.(2010). Cancer therapy-related symptoms and self-care in Thailand. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 4:387-394.
- Williams PD , Balabagno A, et al (2010). Symptom monitoring and self-care practices among Filipino adults with cancer. Cancer Nursing, 33(1);37-46.
- Williams PD, Lopez V. Chair, SY, et al (2010). Symptom monitoring and self-care practices among oncology adults in China. Cancer Nursing, 33(3),184-193.
- Mische-Lawson L, Williams PD et al. (In Press). Effects of art-making on stress, anxiety, and therapy-related symptoms of blood and marrow transplant patients. Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Williams PD, Williams KA, Roling-Lafaver S, Johnson R, Williams AR (2011). An intervention to manage patient-reported symptoms during cancer treatment: EBP, Evidence-Based Practice. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 15(3): 253-258.
- Williams PD, Graham K, Storlie D, Pedace T, Otte D, Haeflinger, K, Sloan JA, Williams AR. (2012, Accepted). Outcomes of checklist use during treatments at a Cancer Center: the TRSC. Cancer Nursing.
- Li WHC, Williams PD, Lopez V, Chung JOK, Chiu SY (2011, accepted). Relationships among therapy-related symptoms, depressive symptoms and quality of life in Chinese children hospitalized with cancer: An exploratory study, Cancer Nursing.
- Shanberg R,Williams PD, Piamjariyakul U (2011). Complementary therapy and care to relieve pediatric cancer therapy-related symptoms in Thailand. The Journal of BSN Honors Research, 4(1); Archie Library Digital Collections; Univ. Kansas Med. Center, Kansas City, KS. Http:archie.kumc.edu/bitstream/handle/2271/1987/JBSNR-2011.
- Williams PD, Williams AR, Kelly KP, Dobos C, Gieseking, A., Connor, R., Ridder L., Potter N.,Del Favero, D. (2012). A Symptom Checklist for Children with Cancer: the TRSC-C. Cancer Nursing. 35(2)89-98; doi:10.1097/NCC.0b013e31821a51f6 [Epub ahead of print].
Dec 12, 2014