Qiuhua Shen, Ph.D., APRN, RN
Post-doctoral Fellowship, University of Kansas
Ph.D., University of Kansas
MSN, University of Kansas
BSN, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
- KU faculty since 2014
- Member of the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), American Diabetes Association (ADA), and Phi Kappa Phi
- Peer reviewer for Nursing Research, Journal of Professional Nursing, Journal of Advanced Nursing, BMC Endocrine Disorders, Biological Research in Nursing, and Cardiology and Angiology
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754, Health Care Research
- NRSG 812, Advanced Pathophysiology
- NRSG 911, Tools for Practice Doctorate Scholarship
- NRSG 935, Professionalism and Scholarship Workshop
- NRSG 943, Methods for Quantitative Research
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Teel, C., & Pierce, J. (2017). Kansas nurse leader residency program: Advancing leader knowledge and skills. Journal of Nursing Management. doi: 10.1111/jonm.12527. PMID: 28901665
- Pierce, J.D., Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Thimmesch, A., & Hiebert, J.B. (2017). A pilot study exploring the effects of ubiquinol on brain genomics following traumatic brain injury. Nursing Outlook, 65, S44-S52. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2017.06.012. PMID: 28755974
- Shen, Q., Hiebert, J.B., Hartwell, J., Thimmesch, A., & Pierce, J.D. (2016). Systematic review of traumatic brain injury and the impact of antioxidant therapy on clinical outcomes. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. doi: 10.1111/wvn.12167. PMID:27243770
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Teel, C., & Pierce, J.D. (2015). The initiative to move towards a more highly educated nursing workforce: Findings from the Kansas registered nurse workforce survey. Journal of Professional Nursing, 31 (6), 452-463. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2015.04.003. PMID: 26653039
- Shen, Q. & Pierce, J.D. (2015). Supplementation of coenzyme Q10 among patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Healthcare, 3(2), 296-309. doi: 10.3390/healthcare3020296.
- Shen, Q., Holloway, N., Thimmesch, A., Wood, J.G., Clancy, R.L., & Pierce, J.D. (2014). Ubiquinol decreases hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation induced microvascular inflammation in the rat mesenteric microcirculation. Physiological Reports, 2 (11), e12199. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12199. PMID: 25413319
Please click here for a complete list of publications
- Pierce, J.D., Harris, J., Gupte, R., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., & Hiebert, J.B. (2017). Reducing cellular damage in traumatic brain injury using ubiquinol. Podium presentation at The 12th World Congress on Brain Injury, International Brain Injury Association (IBIA), New Orleans, LA.
- Shen, Q. & Pierce, J.D. (2016). Dietary supplement use and its associations with health-related behaviors among U.S. adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Poster presentation at 2016 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Determinants of Health by the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Washington D.C.
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Teel, C., Ford, D., & Pierce, J.D. (2015). Building Data Infrastructure to Drive Policy Change. Poster presentation at American Academy of Nursing 2015 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Teel, C., & Pierce, J.D. (2015). Kansas registered nurse workforce survey: implication for advancing nursing education. Poster Presentation at 2015 Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS) 39th Annual Research Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Shen, Q., Holloway, N., Thimmesch, A., Wood, J.G., Clancy, R.L. & Pierce, J.D. (2014). Ubiquinol decreases hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation induced microvascular inflammation in the rat mesenteric microcirculation. Podium presentation at 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Optimizing Health by Addressing Complexity by the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Washington D.C.
- Shen, Q., Hiebert, J., Pierce, T., Clancy, R., & Pierce, J. (2013). Reduction of Myocyte Hydrogen Peroxide and Mitochondrial Damage in Rats Following Hemorrhagic Shock and Fluid Resuscitation with Ubiquinol. Poster presentation at the 42nd Critical Care Congress by the Society of Critical Care Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 08/2017-07/2020, Co-Investigator, Reducing Symptom Burden in Patients with Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction Using Ubiquinol and/or D-ribose funded by National Institute of Health (NIH) R01 (PI: Pierce)
- 05/2017-04/2018, Principal Investigator, Investigating Effects of Ubiquinol on the Myocardium using RNA Sequencing funded by Office of Grants and Research, School of Nursing, University of Kansas & Delta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International (PI: Shen; $5,950)
- 02/2015-01/2017, Project Staff, Creating a Culture of Health in Kansas: Advancing Nursing Education and Leadership funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (PI: Teel; $150,000)
- 07/2014-06/2017, Project Director, Preventing and Reducing Cellular Damage In Traumatic Brain Injury Using Ubiquinol funded by TriService Nursing Research Program (PI: Pierce; $452,562)
- 01/2014-07/2014, Associate Investigator, Coenzyme Q10: A New Treatment for Hemorrhagic Shock funded by TriService Nursing Research Program (PI: Pierce; $432,230)
- 05/2013-04/2014, Co-Investigator, Effects of Ubiquinol in Preventing the Development of Diastolic Heart Failure funded by Office of Research and Grants, School of Nursing, University of Kansas (PI: Pierce; $6,500)
Awards & Honors
- 2017, Faculty Research Award, Office of Grants and Research, School of Nursing, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
- 2014, The Best Research Poster Presentation at 2014 University of Kansas Hospital "Journal to the Center of Patient Care" Nursing Research Council Symposium, Kansas City, KS.
- 2014, The Faculty Travel Award from Research Institute, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
- 2013, The First Place Award for Postdoc Research Poster Presentation at 2013 Resident, Postdoc and Fellow (RPF) Research Day, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
- 2012, The Postdoctoral Research Travel Award from the Kansas Postdoctoral Society, Kansas City, KS
Dec 04, 2017