Qiuhua Shen, Ph.D., APRN, RN
Post-doctoral Fellowship, University of Kansas
Ph.D., University of Kansas
MSN, University of Kansas
BSN, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
- KU faculty since 2014
- Shen's program of research focuses on pathophysiological mechanisms and health outcomes of various populations including cardio-pulmonary and acute/chronic disease patient populations. Her particular research interest is related to understanding the underlying mechanisms of insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and diastolic heart failure and investigating potential intervention strategies to improve patients' bio-behavioral outcomes
- Shen is currently examining the roles of cellular energetic impairment in development of diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure with a multidisciplinary research team. The aim of this research is to explore potential interventions from the perspective of cellular energetics to prevent and treat diastolic heart failure. In addition, Shen is collaborating with Dr. Janet Pierce in a 2-year study funded by Department of Defense, TriService Nursing Research Program to investigate effects of ubiquinol in preventing and reducing cellular damage of traumatic brain injury
- Prior to joining as a faculty, Shen completed two-year postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Kansas investigating the effects of coenzyme Q10 in reducing cellular injury and microcirculation inflammation associated with oxidative stress following hemorrhagic shock and fluid resuscitation. Shen received her PhD in Nursing from University of Kansas. Her dissertation focused on examining the relationship between major depression and insulin resistance among nondiabetic young adults using the national database of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
- Member of the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International, American Diabetes Association, and Phi Kappa Phi
- Peer reviewer for Nursing Research, BMC Endocrine Disorders, Biological Research in Nursing, and Cardiology and Angiology
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 754, Health Care Research
- NRSG 806, Advanced Physiology
- NRSG 812, Advanced Pathophysiology
- Shen, Q., Holloway, N., Thimmesch, A., Wood, J.G., Clancy, R.L., & Pierce, J.D. (2014). Ubiquinol decreases hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation induced microvascular inflammation in the rat mesenteric microcirculation. Physiological Reports, 2 (11), e12199. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12199. PMID: 25413319
- Bennetts, P., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., Diaz, F., Clancy, R., & Pierce, J. (2014). Effects of ubiquinol with fluid resuscitation following hemorrhagic shock. Experimental Physiology, 99, 1007-1015. doi: 10.1113/expphysiol.2014.078600. PMID: 24860150
- Bates, A., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., Hiebert, J., & Pierce, J. (2014). Myocardial energetics and ubiquinol in diastolic heart failure. Nursing and Health Science, 16, 428-433. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12168 PMID: 25263245
- Shen, Q., & Bergquist-Beringer, S. (2013). The relationship between major depression and insulin resistance: does it vary by gender or race/ethnicity among young adults aged 20-39 years?. Journal of Diabetes, 5, 471-481. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12044. PMID: 23489875
- Shen, Q., Bergquist-Beringer, S., & Sousa, V.D. (2011) Major depressive disorder and insulin resistance in nondiabetic young adults in the United States: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2002. Biological Research for Nursing, 13 (2), 175-181. doi: 10.1177/1099800410384501. PMID: 21044969
- Shen, Q., Holloway, N., Thimmesch, A., Wood, J.G., Clancy, R.L. & Pierce, J.D. (2014). Ubiquinol decreases hemorrhagic shock/resuscitation induced microvascular inflammation in the rat mesenteric microcirculation. Podium presentation at 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Optimizing Health by Addressing Complexity by the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Washington D.C.
- Shen, Q., Hiebert, J., Pierce, T., Clancy, R., & Pierce, J. (2013). Reduction of Myocyte Hydrogen Peroxide and Mitochondrial Damage in Rats Following Hemorrhagic Shock and Fluid Resuscitation with Ubiquinol. Poster presentation at the 42nd Critical Care Congress by the Society of Critical Care Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Bennetts, P., Shen, Q., Thimmesch, A., Clancy, R., & Pierce, J. (2013). Effects of Ubiquinol on Reactive Oxygen Species and Cellular Injury in Rats Following Hemorrhagic Shock and Fluid Resuscitation. Poster presentation at the 42nd Critical Care Congress by the Society of Critical Care Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Shen, Q., Bennetts, P., Hastings, R., Zeiger, A., & Pierce, J.D. (2012). Measuring Leukocyte Mitochondrial Superoxide Using Flow Cytometry. Podium presentation at 2012 National State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Discovery through Innovation by the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), Washington D.C.
- Shen, Q., Bergquist-Beringer, S., & Sousa, V.D. (2010). The relationship between major depressive disorder and insulin resistance: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2002. Poster presentation at 2010 Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS) 34th Annual Research Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- 02/2015-01/2017, Project Staff, Creating a Culture of Health in Kansas: Advancing Nursing Education and Leadership funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (PI: Teel; $150,000)
- 07/2014-06/2016, Project Director, Preventing and Reducing Cellular Damage In Traumatic Brain Injury Using Ubiquinol funded by TriService Nursing Research Program (PI: Pierce; $452,562)
- 02/2013-01/2015, Project Staff, Promoting Nursing Education Kansas (PNEK): Progress Toward the 80/20 Recommendation funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (PI: Teel; $150,000)
- 01/2014-07/2014, Associate Investigator, Coenzyme Q10: A New Treatment for Hemorrhagic Shock funded by TriService Nursing Research Program (PI: Pierce; $432,230)
- 05/2013-04/2014, Co-Investigator, Effects of Ubiquinol in Preventing the Development of Diastolic Heart Failure funded by Office of Research and Grants, School of Nursing, University of Kansas (PI: Pierce; $6,500)
Awards & Honors
- 2014, The Best Research Poster Presentation at 2014 University of Kansas Hospital "Journal to the Center of Patient Care" Nursing Research Council Symposium, Kansas City, KS.
- 2014, The Faculty Travel Award from Research Institute, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
- 2013, The First Place Award for Postdoc Research Poster Presentation at 2013 Resident, Postdoc and Fellow (RPF) Research Day, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
- 2012, The Postdoctoral Research Travel Award from the Kansas Postdoctoral Society, Kansas City, KS
- 2010, The Graduate Research Scholars' Award at 2010 Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS) 34th Annual Research Conference, Kansas City, MO
May 11, 2015