Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship
The University of Kansas School of Nursing invites applicants to apply for the Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship. This fellowship is designed to be a 2-year experience with the second year’s contingency based on the fellow satisfying milestones of their first-year progress report. Early in their program, fellows will determine their strengths, weaknesses, and training needs to create an individual career development plan (ICDP). The ICDP, along with input from the faculty mentor will guide the individual training experience. Outcome metrics include publications, grants submitted/awarded, and future professional appointments.
Postdoctoral Fellows Receive
- $75,000/year salary and benefits
- $2,000/year towards research training/pilot/travel
Eligibility of Applicants
- Completion of a terminal research degree
- Able to commit 100% effort to research and training activities
Application Process– Due July 22, 2019
Step 1: Identify your School of Nursing Faculty Mentor
One of the most important steps in applying is to identify a faculty research mentor. Please schedule a meeting with Dr. Polivka, Associate Dean for Research to discuss potential faculty mentors, even if you already identified a mentor.
Step 2: Complete the application
- Personal Statement addressing your research focus and consistency of focus with at least one of the School of Nursing’s five research focus areas, mentor match, how the postdoctoral experience will assist in meeting your research career goals, type of anticipated support needed from your mentor and/or the School of Nursing, plans to submit for funding, and publication plans.
- Your personal statement should be no longer than 2 pages, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, using 11-point Arial or 12-point Times New Roman font.
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Two letters of support.
- One from your dissertation chair
- One from a KUMC School of Nursing faculty member indicating willingness to serve as your mentor and supporting your post-doctoral research plans.
- Complete the online application form by July 22, 2019
- Complete an interview with Scholarship Selection Committee members
Review of Applications
- Applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Selection Committee comprised of the PhD Program Director, Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Chair of the School of Nursing Research Committee, and Chair of the PhD Advisory Council.
- Applicants will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Match with faculty research mentor
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letters
- Match with School of Nursing’s Research focus areas
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Barbara Polivka
Associate Dean for Research