Sharon Kumm, MN, RN, CNE
Program Director, RN-BSN & Partnership Programs
Clinical Associate Professor
Nursing Diploma, Research Hospital School of Nursing
MS, University of Washington, Seattle
- KU faculty since 1992
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Delta Chapter
- Peer reviewer for MedSurg Nursing and Nursing Education Perspectives
- Abstract Reviewer for Sigma Theta Tau International and American Association of Critical Care Nurses
Academic Program Affiliations
- KU Community College Nursing Partnership - concurrent curriculum
Current Areas of Teaching
- NURS 320 Pathophysiology for the Professional Nurse
- NURS 333 Health and Illness: Foundations of Nursing Practicum
- NURS 356 Using Technology and Informatics to Improve Patient Safety
- NURS 416 Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 434 Using Technology to Enhance Client Safety
- NURS 441 Nursing Research in an Evidence-Based Practice Setting
- NURS 478 Integration Seminar
- Kumm, S., Godfrey, N., Martin, D., Tucci, M., Muenks, M. & Spaeth, T. (2014). Baccalaureate Outcomes Met by Associate Degree Nursing Programs. Nurse Educator. 39(5):216-220. PMID: 24978014
- Kumm, S. &. Fletcher, K. A (2012) From daunting task to new beginnings: Bachelor of science in nursing curriculum revision using the new Essentials. Journal of Professional Nursing. 28 (2): 82-89. PMID: 22459137
- Kumm, S., Tarnow, K., Shupe, S. & Hicks, V. (2006) Teaching students to promote positive patient change. Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 45 (4) 143-144. PMID: 16629286
- Kumm, S. & Winwright, S. (2013) Prostate Cancer: An update on Screening and Treatment. Med-Surg Matters! 22(1): 4-7.
- Kumm, S., Hicks, V., Shupe. S, & Hagemaster, J. (2002). You Can Help Your Patients Change. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing. 21(2): 72-77.
- Kumm, S. & Johnson, R. (Nov. 21, 2014). A Model for Designing, Aligning, and Evaluating BSN Curricula: The Baccalaureate Big 5. Podium presentation at AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Baltimor,e MD.
- Kumm, S. and Tarnow, K., (2014). Webinar, Understanding the Basics of Concept-Based Learning, Wolters-Kluwer. Recorded October 7, 2014
- Tarnow, K., Guevel, J., & Kumm, S. (April 8-10, 2014). Implementing E-Books: Faculty and Student Responses. Poster Presentation at 14th Annual Nurse Educator Institute: Leading the Path for Change. Sponsored by North Arkansas Partnership for Health Education (NAPHE) Branson, MO
- Kumm, S. & Godfrey, N. (2013) Fostering Faculty Ownership of Curriculum Change. Professional Nurse Educator Group Conference, Kansas City, MO. Podium presentation at PNEG conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Kumm, S. & Fletcher, K. A. (2013) Designing a sequence of clinical learning experiences that meet the Evidence Based Practice QSEN KSAs. Podium presentation at QSEN National Forum. Atlanta, GA.
- 2014, $3500 clinical faculty grant from University of Kansas School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research to study student perceptions of teaching strategies - active learning, competency-based clinical, and concept-based learning.
- 2012, $1,500 grant from Elsevier to study student and faculty response to implantation of the use of e-books
Awards & Honors
- 2013, Daisy Faculty Award
- 2008, Health Information Technology Scholar (HITS)
Jan 30, 2017