Sharon Kumm, MN, RN, CNE
Program Director, RN-BSN & Partnership Programs
Clinical Associate Professor
Nursing Diploma, Research Hospital School of Nursing
MS, University of Washington, Seattle
Publications: ORCID 0000-0002-0302-488X
- KU faculty since 1992
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Delta Chapter
- Peer reviewer for MedSurg Nursing, Nursing Education Perspectives, Western Journal of Nursing Research
- Abstract Reviewer for Sigma Theta Tau International
Academic Program Affiliations
- KU Community College Nursing Partnership - concurrent curriculum
Current Areas of Teaching
- NURS 320 Pathophysiology for the Practicing Nurse
- NURS 352 Client Assessment for the Practicing Nurse
- NURS 356 Using Technology and Informatics to Improve Patient Safety
- NURS 416 Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 441 Nursing in an Evidence-Based Practice Setting
- NURS 444 Using Technology to Enhance Client Safety
- NURS 478 Integration Seminar
- Laverentz, D. & Kumm, S. (2017). Concept Evaluation Using the PDSA Cycle for Continuous Quality Improvement. Nursing Education Perspectives. DOI: 10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000161 http://journals.lww.com/neponline/Abstract/publishahead/Concept_Evaluation_Using_the_PDSA_Cycle_for.99906.aspx
- Kumm, S. & Laverentz, D. (2017). Concept-based curriculum evaluation: Five year view. Teaching & Learning in Nursing. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2017.06.004
- Kumm, S., Godfrey, N., Martin, D., Tucci, M., Muenks, M. & Spaeth, T. (2014). Baccalaureate Outcomes Met by Associate Degree Nursing Programs. Nurse Educator. 39(5), 216-220. PMID: 24978014
- Kumm, S. &. Fletcher, K. A (2012) From daunting task to new beginnings: Bachelor of science in nursing curriculum revision using the new Essentials. Journal of Professional Nursing. 28(2), 82-89. PMID: 22459137
- Kumm, S. (2018). A Partnership Model for Accelerating Academic Progression. NETNEP2018: 7th International Nurse Education Conference, Banff, Alberta Canada. May 9, 2018.
- Kumm, S. & Laverentz, D. (2018). A Nursing Partnership to Accelerate Academic Progression. Nursing Education Perspectives. DOI: 10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000312 (podium)
- Kumm, S. & Johnson, R. (2014). A Model for Designing, Aligning, and Evaluating BSN Curricula: The Baccalaureate Big 5. Podium presentation at AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Kumm, S. and Tarnow, K., (2014). Webinar, Understanding the Basics of Concept-Based Learning, Wolters-Kluwer. Recorded October 7, 2014
- Kumm, S. & Godfrey, N. (2013) Fostering Faculty Ownership of Curriculum Change. Professional Nurse Educator Group Conference, Kansas City, MO. Podium presentation at PNEG conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Kumm, S. & Fletcher, K. A. (2013) Designing a sequence of clinical learning experiences that meet the Evidence Based Practice QSEN KSAs. Podium presentation at QSEN National Forum. Atlanta, GA.
- 2014, $3500 clinical faculty grant from University of Kansas School of Nursing Office of Grants and Research to study student perceptions of teaching strategies - active learning, competency-based clinical, and concept-based learning.
- 2012, $1,500 grant from Elsevier to study student and faculty response to implantation of the use of e-books
Awards & Honors
- 2013, Daisy Faculty Award
- 2008, Health Information Technology Scholar (HITS)