Shin Hye Park, Ph.D., RN
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Kansas, National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators®
Ph.D., University of California San Francisco, School of Nursing
BSN, MSN, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- My research has been focused on nursing workforce, nursing work environments, and their relationship to patient safety and quality of care. I have been involved in various research projects on nursing workforce and patient safety using large-scale databases, such as the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators, the University HealthSystem Consortium, and the American Hospital Association Annual Survey of Hospitals. I have extensive experience in advanced statistical methods, quantitative research methods, quality measure development, reliability and validity testing, and quality improvement projects.
- KU faculty since 2013
- Peer reviewer for Medical Care, Nursing Research , and International Journal for Quality in Health Care
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Area of Teaching
- NRSG 943 Quantitative Research Methods
- NRSG 944 Quantitative Research Application
- NRSG 946 Synthesis Workshop II
- NRSG 885 Evaluation and Analysis for Healthcare Effectiveness
- Nurse workforce, nursing work environment, quality improvement, patient safety, nursing health services research
- Park, SH., Dunton, N., & Blegen, M. (2016). Comparison of unit-level patient turnover measures in acute care hospital settings. Research in Nursing & Health, 39(3), 197-203.
- Park, SH., Gass, S., & Boyle, D. (2016). Comparison of reasons for nurse turnover in Magnet and non-Magnet hospitals. Journal of Nursing Administration, 46(5), 284-290.
- Park, SH., Weaver, L., Mejia-Johnson, L., Vukas, R., & Zimmerman, J. (2016). An integrative literature review of patient turnover in inpatient hospital settings. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 38(5), 629-655.
- Ma, C. & Park, SH. (2015). Hospital Magnet status, unit work environment, and pressure ulcers. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 47(6), 565-573.
- Park, SH. & Boyle, D. (2015). How hospitals view unit-level nurse turnover data collection: Analysis of a hospital survey. Journal of Nursing Administration. 45, 100-106.
- Park, SH., Blegen, M., Spetz, J., Chapman, S., & De Groot, H. (2015). Comparison of nurse staffing measurements in staffing-outcomes research. Medical Care, 53(1), e1-8.
- Park, SH., Boyle, D., Bergquist-Beringer, S., Staggs, V., & Dunton, N. (2014). Concurrent and lagged effects of unit-level registered nurse turnover and staffing on unit-acquired pressure ulcer outcomes in acute care hospitals. Health Services Research, 49, 1205-1225.
- Blegen, M., Goode, C., Park, SH., Vaughn, T., & Spetz, J. (2013). Baccalaureate education in nursing and patient outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43, 517-523.
- Park, SH., Blegen, M., Spetz, J., Chapman, S., & De Groot, H. (2012). Patient turnover and the relationship between nurse staffing and patient outcomes. Research in Nursing & Health, 35, 277-288.
- Goode, C., Blegen, M., Park, SH., Vaughn, T., & Spetz, J. (2011). Comparison of patient outcomes in Magnet and non-Magnet hospitals. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41, 517-523.
- Blegen, M., Goode, C., Spetz, J., Vaughn, T., & Park, SH. (2011). Nurse staffing effects on patient outcomes: Safety-net and non-safety-net hospitals. Medical Care, 49, 406-414.
- A complete list of publications is available by clicking here
- Park, SH. (2016). Nurse staffing projection and outcomes associated with high patient turnover in acute care hospitals. March 2016, at Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference. (Podium Presentation).
- Park, SH. (2014). Projecting nursing care needs associated with high patient turnover. November 2014, at International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Dallas, TX. (Podium Presentation).
- Park, SH. & Dunton, N. (2014). Comparison of unit work environments associated with patient turnover rates. September 2014, at Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington DC. (Podium Presentation).
- Park, SH. & Boyle, D. (2013). A hospital survey evaluating unit-level nurse turnover data collection. November 2013, at International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Baltimore, MD. (Podium Presentation).
- Park, SH. (2013). Reliability and validity study of the NDNQI nurse turnover indicators. February 2013, at Annual American Nurses Association's Nursing Quality Conference, Atlanta, GA. (Symposium Presentation).
- 2015-Present, Econometrica, Inc. Subaward, Dept. Health and Human Services, Development, Implementation, and Maintenance of Quality Measures for the Program of All‐Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) (Role: Investigator)
- 2014-2016, Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing (CGEAN) and KU SON OGR Faculty Research Award, Patient Turnover in Acute Care Hospital Units (Role: PI)
- 2013-2014, Sigma Theta Tau International Small Grant, Nursing Work Environments with High Patient Turnover (Role: PI)
- 2011-2014, American Nurses Association/Press Ganey, Inc., National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (Role: Senior Research Associate and Faculty Researcher)
Awards & Honors
- 2014, Experienced Career Award, Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing (CGEAN) Advancing Leadership Education and Research
- 2014, OGR Faculty Research Award, KU SON
- 2014, Faculty Travel Award, KUMC
- 2013, Sigma Theta Tau International Small Grants Award
- 2006-2010, Graduate Dean's Health Science Fellowship, University of California San Francisco