Shin Hye Park, Ph.D., RN
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Kansas, National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators®
Ph.D., University of California San Francisco, School of Nursing
MSN, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
BSN, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- My research has been focused on nursing workforce, nursing work environments, and their relationship to patient safety and quality of care. I have been involved in various research projects on nursing workforce and patient safety using large-scale databases, such as the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI), the University HealthSystem Consortium, and the American Hospital Association Annual Survey of Hospitals. I have extensive experience in nursing health services research, advanced statistical methods, quantitative research methods, quality measure development, reliability and validity testing, and quality improvement projects.
- KU faculty since 2013.
- Peer Reviewer for Medical Care, Nursing Research, International Journal for Quality in Health, Research in Nursing & Health, Journal of Nursing Management, and Journal of Nursing Education.
Academic Program Affiliations
Current Area of Teaching
- NRSG 804 Interpreting Research for Applied Science
- NRSG 885 Evaluation and Analysis for Healthcare Effectiveness
- NRSG 896 Grant Writing Application
- NRSG 898 Research Project in Nursing
- NRSG 949 Synthesis Workshop II
- NRSG 953 Quantitative Research Methods and Application
- Park, SH., Hanchett, M., & Ma, C. (2018). Practice environment characteristics associated with missed nursing care, Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 50, 722-730.
- Ma, C., Park, SH., & Shang, J. (2018). Inter- and intra-disciplinary collaboration and patient safety outcomes in US acute care hospital units: A cross-sectional study, International Journal of Nursing Studies, 85, 1-6.
- Park, SH., Dunton, N., & Blegen, M. (2016). Comparison of unit-level patient turnover measures in acute care hospital settings. Research in Nursing & Health, 39, 197-203.
- Park, SH., Gass, S., & Boyle, D. (2016). Comparison of reasons for nurse turnover in Magnet and non-Magnet hospitals. Journal of Nursing Administration, 46, 284-290.
- Park, SH., Blegen, M., Spetz, J., Chapman, S., & De Groot, H. (2015). Comparison of nurse staffing measurements in staffing-outcomes research. Medical Care, 53, e1-8.
- Park, SH., Boyle, D., Bergquist-Beringer, S., Staggs, V., & Dunton, N. (2014). Concurrent and lagged effects of unit-level registered nurse turnover and staffing on unit-acquired pressure ulcer outcomes in acute care hospitals. Health Services Research, 49, 1205-1225.
- A complete list of publications is available by clicking here
- Park, SH. & Ma, C. (2019). Intra- and interdisciplinary collaboration and missed nursing care in acute care hospital units, March 2019, at Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Kansas City, MO. (Paper Presentation)
- Park, SH. (2018). Missed nursing care and nurses' perceptions of job satisfaction and intent to leave, April 2018, at Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Cleveland, OH. (Paper Presentation).
- Park, SH. (2017). Feasibility and usability of patient turnover data collection in acute care hospital units, April 2017, at Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Minneapolis, MN. (Poster).
- Park, SH. (2016). Patient turnover and nurse outcomes on acute care hospital units. November 2016, at International Nursing Administration Research Conference, Orlando, FL. (Invited as a Session Presenter).
- 2019-2022, Principal Investigator, Effects of Patient Turnover on Nursing Care and Patient Outcomes in Acute Care Hospital Settings, Funded by National Institutes of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (R01HS026134)
- 2018-2019, Principal Investigator, Nursing Excellence and CMS Value-Based Programs, Funded by MacArthur Interprofessional Collaboration Award.
- 2015-2018, Co-Investigator, Development, Implementation, and Maintenance of Quality Measures for the Program of All‐Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), Funded by Econometrica, Inc. Subaward, Dept. Health and Human Services (PI: K. McNealy).
- 2014-2016, Principal Investigator, Patient Turnover in Acute Care Hospital Units, Funded by Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing (CGEAN) and KU SON OGR Faculty Research Award.
- 2013-2014, Principal Investigator, Nursing Work Environments with High Patient Turnover, Funded by Sigma Theta Tau International Small Grant.
- 2011-2014, 2016-2017, Senior Research Associate and Faculty Researcher, National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI), Funded by American Nurses Association and Press Ganey Inc.
Awards & Honors
- Experienced Career Award, Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing (CGEAN) Advancing Leadership Education and Research, 2014
- OGR Faculty Research Award, University of Kansas School of Nursing, 2014
- Sigma Theta Tau International Small Grants Award, 2013
- Graduate Dean's Health Science Fellowship, University of California San Francisco, 2006-2010.