Minimum Technology Requirements
The University of Kansas, School of Nursing (KUSoN) uses a technology rich curriculum. The following recommendations are made with student success in mind.
The School of Nursing supports either Windows or Mac computers and does not recommend using a tablet, netbook, Chromebook, iPad, or phone as a primary computing device.
First and second year students in the School of Nursing are eligible for a one time financial aid bugdet adjustment to cover the purchase of a computer. Contact the financial aid office for more information on the Computer Purchase/Electronic Purchase program.
|Processor||Intel Core i5|
|Graphics Memory||1 GB|
|Warranty||3 years or more|
|Operating System||Windows 10 or for Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion (Mavericks preferred)|
Students can receive assistance for their basic computing issues related to their academic work from the Jayhawk Tech Clinics, available in two locations: 3rd floor of Eleanor Taylor building, and the 2nd floor of Dykes library. The Clinics offer:
- Advice and consultation sessions about any IT issue you're having
- Virus and malware clean-up
- Performance tuning your device
- Setting up email/calendars on your mobile device
Students will be responsible for having a working device that meets the minimum requirements. Our curriculum incorporates the following tasks:
- Accessing and downloading course files (documents, presentations, videos, etc.)
- Uploading assignment files (documents, presentations, videos, etc.)
- Taking Quizzes and Exams
- Posting to Discussion Boards
- Accessing resources through different browsers
- Taking notes/annotating resources
- Presenting student created files/media through a data projector. Our lecture halls and classrooms are equipped with Windows PCs for use by presenters.
It is the student's responsibility to maintain a backup of all work. We strongly suggest purchasing an external hard drive or using an online backup service.