Ubolrat Piamjariyakul, Ph.D., RN
Research Associate Professor
Ph.D., University of Kansas, School of Nursing
MS, Nursing and Healthcare Management, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
BS, Nursing and Midwifery, Saraburi Nursing College, Thailand
- KU faculty since 2004
- Membership: Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter; Midwest Nursing Research Society; and American Heart Association
- Peer reviewer for Journal of Nursing Research and Heart & Lung Journal
- My research interests are to develop and test interventions and health service delivery methods to help reduce hospitalization related to heart failure (HF) in minority populations.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 804, Interpreting Research for Applied Science
- NRSG 898, Master Research Project in Nursing
- NRSG823, Research Clinical Trial Coordinator: Pre-Study
- NRSG824, Research Clinical Trial Coordinator: During-Study
- NRSG825, Research Clinical Trial Coordinator: Post-Study
- Smith, CE, Piamjariyakul, U, Dalton KM et al. (2015). Nurse-led Multidisciplinary Heart Failure Group Clinic Appointments: Methods, Materials and Outcomes Used in the Clinical Trial. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. PMID: 25774836
- Smith, CE, Piamjariyakul, U, Wick, J et al. (2014). Multidisciplinary Group Clinic Appointments: The Self-Management and Care of Heart Failure (SMAC-HF) Trial. Circulation: Heart Failure, 7(6):888-94. PMID: 25236883
- Piamjariyakul, U., Yadrich, D.M., Russell, C., Myer, J., Prinyarux, C., Vacek, J.L., Ellerbeck, E.F., Smith, C.E. (2014). Patients' annual income adequacy, insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses related to heart failure care. Heart & Lung. PMID: 25012635
- Piamjariyakul, U., Myers, S.E., Werkowitch, M., Smith, C.E. (2014). End-of-Life Preferences and Presence of Advance Directives among Ethnic Populations with Severe Chronic Cardiovascular Illnesses. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 13(2)2, 147 - 151. PMID: 24434048
- Piamjariyakul U, Russell, C., Smith CE, Werkowitch M, Elyachar A. (2013). The feasibility of a telephone coaching program on heart failure home management for family caregivers. Heart & Lung, 42(1): 32-9. PMID: 23116654
- Piamjariyakul, U., Smith, C., Wick, J. (Feb 25-27, 2015). Delivering Patient Care Interventions via Mobile iPad Mini Tablets. Poster Presentation at the 3rd Conference on Prevention and Management of Chronic Conditions, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Piamjariyakul, U., Smith, C., Russell, C. (July 24-28, 2014). The development of cultural-specific caregiver telephone coaching program to improve heart failure home care. Poster Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International, Hong Kong.
- Piamjariyakul, U., Smith, C.E., Werkowitch, M., et al. (December 9-10, 2013). Annual utilization healthcare services and estimated costs to families managing complex heart failure home care. Paper Presentation at the 1st Annual International Conference on Cardiology & Cardiovascular Medicine Research, Singapore.
- Piamjariyakul, U., Smith, C., Russell, C. (April 12-15, 2012). Heart failure coaching program based on data from patients, family caregivers, and professional perspectives. Poster Presentation at Midwest Nursing research Society, Michigan.
- Piamjariyakul, U. (Principal Investigator) (2012-2014). Feasibility Study: Heart Failure in African-Americans with Family Home Care Interventions. Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute, KCALSI). $50,000.
- Piamjariyakul, U. (Minority Supplement Awardee). (2008-2013). HF Group Clinic Appointments: Rehospitalization Prevention Clinical Trial (R01 HL085397S, Dr. Carol E. Smith, PI and Research Mentor). $286,658.
- Piamjariyakul, U (Principal Investigator), Russell, C. (Award Recipient) & (2010). HF Family Caregivers' Telephone Education. Bernard Saperstein Caregiving Grant. $1,000.
- Piamjariyakul, U. (Principal Investigator) (2007-2011). Multidisciplinary Education: Improving Heart Failure Patients' Self-Management. American Heart Association, Beginning Grant-in-aid. $140,000.
Awards & Honors
- 2013, Arteriosclerosis/Heart Failure Research Prize, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing American Heart Association
- 2011, Faculty Research Investigator Award
- 2010, Mayo Clinic CTSA Research Practicum Awardee
- 2007-2010, K-30 Fellowship
Aug 22, 2016