Wanda Blaser Bonnel, Ph.D., RN, GNP-BC, ANEF
Ph.D., University of Kansas School of Nursing
MSN (medical-surgical nursing), St. Louis University
Post-master's certificate (adult/geriatric NP), Creighton University
BSN, Marycrest College
- KU faculty since 1994
- Fellow- National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education
- Sigma Theta Tau member, Delta Chapter
- Editorial Board Member - Journal of Gerontological Nursing
- Peer reviewer for Nurse Educator
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 877 Foundations in Education and Learning
- NRSG 870 Teaching Strategies, Creating a Learning Environment
- NRSG 871 Curriculum/Program Planning and Evaluation
- NRSG 874, Health Professions Educator Practicum
- NRSG 963 Advanced Leadership Residency Practicum
- Bonnel, W. & Smith, K. (2017). Proposal writing for clinical nursing and DNP projects, 2nd Edition New York: Springer Publishing.
- Bonnel, W. & Hober, C. (2016). Optimizing the reflective observer role in high fidelity patient simulation, Journal of Nursing Education,55(6):353-356. PMID: 27224466
- Bonnel, W. (2016). Clinical performance evaluation. In D. Billings & J. Halstead (Eds). Teaching in Nursing: A Guide For Faculty, 5th Edition. Philadelphia: W B Saunders Company.
- Bonnel, W. and Tarnow, K. (2015). Preparing health professions' educators via online certificate program: Structure and strategies for quality. Nurse Educator,40(1):51-4. PMID: 25350048
- Hober, C. & Bonnel, W. (2014). Student Perceptions of the Observer Role in High-Fidelity Simulation. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(10), 507-514.
- Bonnel, W. (2013). Becoming part of the plan to help conquer Alzheimer's disease: The national Alzheimer's project act. Journal of Gerontological Nursing,39 (8), 9-11. PMID: 23758113
- Bonnel, W. (2012). Elder abuse: Primary care strategies for screening. Clinical Advisor, 15(4), 40-47.
- Bonnel, W. (2017). Assessing and Evaluating Clinical Learning Outcomes. Sigma Theta Tau Center for Excellence in Nursing Education, the Faculty Knowledge / Skills Development Program (recorded webinar).
- Bonnel, W. & Hober, C. (2014). Enhancing the Reflective Observer Role in High Fidelity Simulation: Student Perceptions. National League for Nursing Technologies Conference, (Nashville, Poster).
- Ebbert, D. & Bonnel, W. (2014). Evaluation of an innovative course developed to guide DNP student project proposals. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty (Denver, podium).
- Bonnel, W. (2013). Teaching with Technologies: Tools for Promoting Deep Learning, Missouri League for Nursing Annual Convention, St Louis (invited podium presentation).
- Bonnel, W. (2012). Best Practices for Teaching with Technologies. Tulsa Community College, Tulsa, OK (invited workshop).
- 2014 Enhancing the Reflective Observer Role for High Fidelity Simulation: Student Perceptions. Funded by Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter (PI)
- 2006-08 Best Practices in Feedback to Online Students. Funded by National League for Nursing (PI)
- 2004-08 University of Kansas Career Ladder, Adult-Geriatric CNS/Clinical Educator. Funded by HRSA Division of Nursing (PI)
- 2004-06 Online Course Feedback, What Do We Mean? Funded by National League for Nursing (PI)
- 2001-04 University of Kansas Blended Nurse Educator Specialty & Clinical APN Masters Nurse. Funded by HRSA Division of Nursing (PI)
Awards & Honors
- 2009 - Present Fellow, National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education
- 2011 Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Kansas
- 2009 MNRS Nursing Education Research Section Advancement of Science Award
- 2008 Kemper Teaching Award, University of Kansas
- 2004 Sigma Theta Tau Regional Pinnacle Award for Technology, Web-Based Nurse Educator Certificate (Bonnel, Starling, Wambach, Tarnow, & Neuberger)