Becky J. Christian
Program Director, PhD Program
PhD, The University of Texas at Austin
MSN, University of Missouri-Columbia
BSN, University of Missouri-Columbia
- KU faculty since September 1, 2000
- Research: Children and adolescents with chronic illness - the interplay among physiologic, functional, psychosocial, and development characteristics as children integrate chronic illness into their everyday lives; and how families adapt to and manage their child's chronic condition and/or physical disability (R01- Building Life Skills in Children with Cystic Fibrosis; R01-NR04576, NINR, NIH)
- Editorial Board - Research Commentary for Journal of Pediatric Nursing
- Peer Reviewer for Nursing Research, Nursing Outlook, Journal of Pediatric Nursing, Journal of Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, Pediatrics, Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice, Social Work and Health Care, Sleep Health, and Journal of Translational Medicine
- Research Grant Reviewer -NIH (NINR; Social Sciences and Population Studies Integrated Review Group), Tri-Service Military Nursing Research, American Nurses Foundation (1st and 2nd level grant review panels), Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS), and Society of Pediatric Nurses.
Academic Program Affiliations
- PhD Program
- DNP Program
Current Areas of Teaching
- NRSG 946 - MEASUREMENT PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE
- NRSG 948 - METHODS FOR ASSESSING ORGANIZATIONAL AND CLINICAL PRACTICE OUTCOMES
- Christian, B.J. (2020). Translational Research - Promoting quality of life and reducing health disparities among children with chronic conditions and their families. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 55, 258-260. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2020.09.015. (data-based, synthesis)
- Christian, B.J. (2019). Translational Research - Adolescents and young adults with chronic conditions and disabilities striving for independence in self-management and navigating healthcare transitions. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 47, 159-164. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn. 2019.06.010. (data-based, synthesis)
- Christian, B.J. (2016). Translational Research - Adapting to the stress and challenges of chronic conditions in children and adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 31(6), 736-739. doi:10.1016/ j.pedn.2016. 09.006. (data-based, synthesis)
- Currie E.R., Christian, B.J., Hinds, P.S., Perna, S.J., Robinson, C., Day, S., & Meneses, K. (2016). Parent perspectives of neonatal intensive care at the end-of-life. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 31(5), 478-489. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2016.03.023. (data-based, refereed)
- Christian, B.J. (2016). Translational Research - Balancing the demands of chronic illness, caregiving and self-management for children, adolescents, and their parents. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 31(4), 449-452. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2016.05.002. (data-based, synthesis)
- Christian, B.J., & *Mills, T. (2020). Adaptation to the chronic illness trajectory - Adolescents and children balancing the demands of Cystic Fibrosis. Presentation at the Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference (MNRS), Chicago, IL (April 1-4, 2020) (virtual/poster, data-based, refereed, regional).
- *Tucker, J.A., &. Christian, B.J. (2019). Mothers' experiences of a fetal anomaly diagnosis: from diagnosis to the neonatal period in NICU. Podium presentation at the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN), Anaheim, CA (June, 2019) (podium, data-based, refereed, national).
- *Currie, E.R., & Christian, B.J. (2016). "When I Heard Palliative Care, I Heard Hospice" Parents' experiences with pediatric palliative care consultation in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, poster presentation at the 2016 Annual Assembly of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) and the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA) Chicago, IL (March, 2016)(data-based, poster, refereed, national).
- *Luther, B. & Christian B.J. (2014). Parent perceptions of promoting health for school-age children with Spina Bifida. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science: 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Optimizing Health by Addressing Complexity, (September, 18-20, 2014), Washington D.C. (podium, data-based, refereed, national).
- Pearce, P.F., Christian, B.J., Smith, S., & Vance, D. (2014). Research methods for graduate students:
- A practical framework to guide teachers and learners. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, Denver, CO (April 2-6, 2014) (podium, 100 attendees) (podium, data-based, refereed, national).
- B.J. Christian (PI), Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis: Peer-2-Peer Intervention pilot. University of Louisville, EVPRI Internal University Research Grant-II (interdisciplinary) (2015-2017) (funded $9,955)
- B.J. Christian (PI), Making Connections: Quality of life in adolescents with cystic fibrosis (Pilot feasibility study). UAB CCTS Grant, UAB Gregory Fleming James Cystic Fibrosis Research Center & Center for Outcomes Effectiveness Research (January, 2012; funded $60,000).
- B.J. Christian (Co-PI): Engaging Adolescents to Prevent Overweight: Exergames and Healthy Eating-Pilot Study (Co-PI: P.F. Pearce), University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Nursing; Co-Investigators: Sandra Simms (Human Performance, School of Education); Andre Azuero, biostatistician). Dean's Scholar Award, School of Nursing (2010-2012; funded $10,000).
- B.J. Christian (Co-PI with Co-PI: N.A. Murphy, MD): The Function of Caregivers and their Children with Cerebral Palsy (CP), Phase I: Primary Children's Medical Center Foundation Innovative Research Grant (12/18/2006-12/31/07; funded $25,000) (interprofessional); Phase II: Primary Children's Medical Center Foundation Innovative Research Grant (12/18/07-12/31/08; funded $14,200) (interprofessional).
- B.J. Christian (PI), Building Life Skills in Children with Cystic Fibrosis (R01-NR04576, NINR, NIH) (March 1, 1998 to December, 2001 with no-cost extension to 11/30/02; funded $1.1M)
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- Distinguished Scholar and Fellow, National Academies of Practice and NAP Nursing Academy
- Anna M. Shannon Research Mentorship Award, Western Institute of Nursing (WIN)
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing