Jill Peltzer, Ph.D., APRN-CNS
- Joined the School of Nursing in 2009
- Member of American Holistic Nurses Association, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, International Philosophy of Nursing Society, International Society of Nurses in Genetics, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Oncology Nursing Society, Sigma Theta Tau International, & Transcultural Nursing Society
- Reviewer for Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, Journal of Nursing Education, Nursing Research, Qualitative Health Research, & Western Journal of Nursing Research
- Researcher Engagement Taskforce Co-Chair, Patients and Investigator Voices Organizing Together, KU Cancer Center
Academic Program Affiliations
Teaching Activities and Interests
- NRSG 936: Philosophy of Nursing Science
- NRSG 937: Innovative Models and Theories in Nursing Science
- NRSG 949: Synthesis Workshop II
- NRSG 748: Theories for Practice and Research
- Nursing philosophy and theory
- Population health
- Cultural competency, health disparities, and health equity
Selected Research Interests
- Cancers in women
- Epigenomics & Genomics
- Symptom science
- Patient engagement
- Qualitative methodologies
- Page, R., Peltzer, J., Burdette, A., & Hill, T. (2018). Religiosity and health: A holistic biopsychosocial approach. Journal of Holistic Nursing.
- Peltzer, J., Shen, Q., Pierce, J., Selig, B., Hober, C., Carlton, L., & Teel, C. (2018). The Kansas Nurse Leader Residency program: Building nurses' capacity to lead change. The Journal of Nursing Professional Development, 34(5), E1-E8. doi: 10.1097/NND.0000000000000479
- Pierce, J.D., Shen, Q., Peltzer, J., Thimmesch, A., & Hiebert, J. (2017). Exploring the effects of ubiquinol on brain genomics following traumatic brain injury. Nursing Outlook. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2017.06.012
- Peltzer, J.N., Ogawa, L., Tusher, S., Farnan, R., & Gerkovich, M.M. (2017). A qualitative description of HIV-infected African American women's experiences of psychological distress and their coping strategies. The Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 28(2), 226 - 237. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2016.09.010
- Sachs, D., Peltzer, J.N., & McGee, J.L. (2017). Perceptions of health among Black adults living in a diverse urban community. Public Health Nursing, 34(4), 335-342. doi: 10.1111/phn.12323.
- Connelly, L. & Peltzer, J. (2016). Underdeveloped themes in qualitative research: Relationship with interviews and analysis. Clinical Nurse Specialist: The Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice, 30(1), 52 - 57. DOI: 10.1097/NUR.0000000000000173.
Selected Poster/Podium Presentations
- Peltzer, J.N., Thompson, N., Wright, S., Nelson, E.L., Mogbel, M., Hinthorn, D., Wick, J., & Wagner, M. (2019). iCOPE: An iPad Intervention for Psychological Distress among HIV-Infected African American Women. Abstract accepted for poster session presentation at the annual Midwest Nursing Research Society conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Peltzer, J.N. (2018). HIV-Infected African American Women's Narratives of Self-Care. Podium presentation at the American Holistic Nurses Association annual conference, Niagara Falls, NY.
- Peltzer, J.N., Teel, C., Hober, C., Haynes, V., Cain, C., Caudle, T., & Strange, E. (2017). Building a culturally competent nursing workforce. Podium presentation at the Transcultural Nursing Society annual conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Peltzer, J. & Connelly, L. (2017). Qualitative research findings: Interrelationships between the underlying philosophy and methodology. Podium presentation at the Midwest Nursing Research Society annual conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Peltzer, J. & Lemos, R. (2017). Examining Morse's praxis theory of suffering among African American women living with HIV infection: A qualitative secondary data analysis. Poster discussion at the Midwest Nursing Research Society annual conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Peltzer, J. & Potts, M.E. (2016). Using big thinking: Integrating the humanities into doctoral nursing education. Podium presentation at AACN Doctoral Education conference, Naples, FL.
- KUCC Pilot Project Award: Breast Cancer Fatigue and Mitochondrial Gene Expression in Black and White Women
Awards & Honors
- Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 2018
- National Institute of Nursing Research Intramural Training Award, Summer Genetics Institute, 2017
- Journal of Nurses in AIDS Care Outstanding Reviewer, 2016
- March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Academic Educator Award, 2016
- Phyllis Keeney Lawrence Teaching Award, 2015
- KU SON Alumni Early Career Achievement Award, 2013
- Jayhawker RN Lecture Award, 2013, 2012
Last modified: Feb 11, 2021